News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Phil's New Job

Started by Towntalk, November 12, 2008, 01:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yfdgricker

Defend Youngstown

That is truly flattering and I greatly appreciate the endorsement. It is a suggestion I often hear, however, I'm not certain if I'm cut out for politics. If given the choice, I'd rather try to simply work on issues objectively and help to empower residents. Politics (the process) is important and I feel we are slowly improving as a city. However, regardless of who we choose to represent us, I'm not convinced the organizational system with in City Hall is efficient or sets the city up for success at present. If fact, I think one could make the argument that it's dysfunctional, an out-moded system still reflective of an institutional, 20th century approach that does not allow flexibility to quickly adapt to proactive measures when needed. There are certainly changes that can and should be made...but that is for another thread another day. The point is this: whoever assumes positions w/in City Hall is already at an organization disadvantage in attempting to get successful, large-scale work done. Community assistance is needed. Therefore, I truly believe that a community such as Youngstown is only as strong as how well our neighborhoods organize, empower themselves, and rally around common issues and agendas. This not only determines how successful we will be as a community but - by extension - a city. Such an approach or process transcends individuals, politics, or administrations that will come and go. Through working with City Hall and speaking with one voice regarding various issues helps everyone succeed. It is a 21st century networking approach (vs. a 19th or 20th century hierarchal approach) much like how the Youngstown 2010 plan was created (the reason I returned to Youngstown). This is how the Youngstown 2010 can and must be implemented as well. Good, fundamental, professional, well-funded, full-time, internally well-organized, inclusive community organizing is good for everyone and so, therefore, this is why I choose to engage in it. Now, that didn't sound too political, did it, ha?

Thanks again for your kind words and encouragement. We're going to do some good things together.

ForumManager

Phil,
Is someone going to take over the events or are you wearing many hats?
Personally I feel you are city council and or mayor material but you will probably do good works and will be more effective in your new position.  Congrats!

Towntalk

I wish you only the very best in your new job.

Defend Youngstown

I look forward to working even closer with members of this forum (the best online forum in the Valley  :))