News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

austintown schools bussing for parochial students

Started by ytowner, July 06, 2005, 07:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowner

Mam there is a BIG Difference between Austintown And YOUNGSTOWN!

This AUSTINTOWN Bussins situation affects ALL PAROCHIAL STUDENTS IN THE TOWNSHIP OF AUSTINTOWN.

All these students Parents pay their fair share of taxes to send kids through Public Schools and they pay for bussing through these taxes.

All KIDS IN AUSTINTOWN WHETHER GOING TO ST. JOES OR IHM for Catholic Elementary or Ursuline or Youngstown Christian; must be bussed EQUALLY THE SAME AS PUBLIC SCHOOL STUDENTS!

carpool mom

You mention Ursuline. Are you aware that Youngstown provides bussing for the Parochial students but not for the city's own high school students unless they are coming from another side of town? Say from the south side to Chaney?

Many kids live MUCH TOO FAR TO WALK and get rides.  I have been driving kids to school for years.

A lawsuit? What about other districts in the state that have discontinued bussing altogether?

The city had to change its class schedules several years ago to accomodate bussing issues,  causing inconvenient hours FOR EVERYONE. My sons both had to catch the bus at 6:30 AM when in Junior High.

It's bad for everyone and not discriminatory against the Parochial students. There's not enough money for  extra busses so they juggle. Upkeep, fuel and drivers cost money. We all know it isn't going to get less expensive any time in the future.

So are you  saying that if you send your child to parochial school and live in the cty that you shouldn't have to pay taxes? If people live in the city, the tax money also goes for other things -  not just for schools - police, fire, street crews and other city government employees. All of these departments have struggled.  In fact, the schools get a large part of their money from the state based on how many students attend.

The recent closings of some local Parochial schools might help the city schools reclaim some of their admissions.  

The city schools get a  bum rap and I am frankly sick of it.  The teachers work very hard and are VERY dedicated.

Maybe  the money crunch in Austintown is due to the fact that they are building a new school? They need the new school. I am not up on Austintown news so maybe the money is coming from elswhere and not the budget, but juggling and trying to make ends meet are part of what school systems have to deal with these days.  

It's hard all over.

Carpool Mom

ytowner

The Austintown Schools are cutting; not ELIMINATING; Bussing for those kids attending Parochial Schools in Austintown Township. The Austintown School Board held a meeting with parents of parochial students today and I attended and it was a JOKE! They were unprepared and a parent/lawyer told them a code in the State School Code that states Public School Students and Parochial Students MUST Receive the same bussing equally. They casually excused it and went to the next question! AWFUL!

They truly have no plan because they are planning on sending all Parochial students from Kindergarten to 12th grade to ride the Busss with Austintown Fitch Students? They even promised kids won't be on the bus for more than 30 minutes which is a LYE since my nephew goes to Ursuline in the city of Youngstown and he is one of the first off and he takes 45 minutes to get home; some take over 1 hour to get home!

UNCALLED FOR AND ITS DISCRIMINATION!!!!!

Parochial Students Parents pay taxes to send these public kids to school and they spend an extra burden to send kids to Catholic/Charter/Private Schools..

A lawsuit is very possible!

THOUGHTS?