News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

What's Happening At The Next School Board Meeting?

Started by jay, August 22, 2008, 10:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

A school building is just that - a building, nothing more.  What makes any school a
"good school" or a "bad school" is a combinations of things:

1) The teachers that work there and the curriculum they teach

2) The non-teaching staff that support them (or should support them, anyways..)

3) The students that attend that school

4) The parents of those same students

5) The school board

6) The citizens that live in the neighborhood around that school building, and their willingness
to look out not only for themselves, but their neighbors and the students coming and going from
that school.

:)

The physical location of the building is, usually, irrelevant [ie: what side of town the building is on]

Towntalk

Not sure, but it is quite possable that the folks on the West Side are fed up to the gills about what has been going on, especially with Chaney and the elementry school. At the time I went to Chaney it was one of, if not the best schools in town first under the guidance of Dr. Ricksucker then Paul Luce. I had some really great teachers there and loved every minute of it.

Half way through my Junior year my family moved to the North Side and I had to go to Rayen and hated every second of it with the exceptions of the English class. Our teacher worked part time at WBBW, and was a really great teacher who went on to form a company that designed courses of study for exceptionally bright students.

I know though that the West Siders were very protective of their schools and especially Chaney.

Now we hear about so many problems at Chaney that we didn't hear about before South was closed along with Wilson.

You'll recall that Wilson was a good school with excellent programs until South closed.

jay

Another comment was made by the same person.  He claimed that the west side has taken over the Board of Education.  I'm not sure what was meant by this statement.  Is there some type internal conflict taking place at board meetings?

Towntalk

Jay, the agenda has been reported in the radio and TV news.

The Board will be considering major changes in the school year which will have students going to school more days of the school year with breaks between each semister.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2008/aug/21/webb-presents-dramatic-plan-for-change/

jay

I guess people on this Forum don't attend meetings of the Youngstown Board of Education.

jay

I haven't been following the meetings of the Youngstown School Board.  On the radio this morning, a former councilman called the station and asked the public to come to the next meeting as a show of support.  He wants the room to be packed.  What is supposed to happen at the school board meeting next week?