News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

B&O Restaurant May Open Again

Started by jay, July 16, 2008, 09:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

You're thinking about the Marshal Street Bridge, and the sign idea is a really good one. The Marshal Street bridge is not that far from Anthony's On The River so patrons would not have to go out of their way since folks going to Mahoning Avenue have to use this route anyway.

AllanY2525

It is definitely not good for Anthony's On The River to have the Spring Commons
bridge closed and under reconstruction, but maybe the owner(s) of this restaurant
might want to consider putting up a large, lighted sign - ie: one that is visible ABOVE
the bridge and from any direction of approach - that not only advertises the fact
that they are OPEN during the construction, but shows the logical (and VERY close
by) detour around the Spring Commons Bridge - which is that other bridge just east
of the Spring Commons bridge, the one that has the John Young Memorial statue
next to it and crosses the river to Oakhill Avenue.

In my area, many businesses will post an ad billboard with the "YES, we ARE OPEN for
business" message on it under these circumstances... I think the Buffalo Wings place on
Central Square did this with a professionally made canvass sign of some sort, I remember
seeing something to that effect on a recent trip home to Youngstown.

This might allow them to pick up business that they otherwise may be losing....

Anyways, just an idea, for what it's worth.

:)

AllanY2525

In the process of digging up historical information on the Renner Mansion on Park Avenue a couple of
years back, I was told that a brother of Arroyo (the former boxing champion who held the title for a
while) was connected to the B & O Restaurant for a while and got into some "trouble" and that this
trouble resulted in the closing of the restaurant.

I don't know how accurate this information is, because it was passed on to me through the "grapevine",
so to speak.

In any event, I think it's absolutely WONDERFUL that the brewery is being re-activated - maybe this
will attract more business that the restaurant would/could, in and of itself.

One other possibility I can see would be for the new proprietor(s) to distribute and sell the locally
brewed beverages outside of the restaurant.  Nothing helps the local economy more than a locally
made product that is sold outside of the city - and therefore brings money into the city.

:)

Defend Youngstown

No, the B&O is not closed. It's still a banquet center and uses the facility for outdoor concerts as well. The brewery is something above and beyond. Rust Belt will also have a number of outdoor shows as well (see Myspace link below for dates/times/bands).

Anthony's is hurting and is looking to sell. The closing of the Spring Commons Bridge is cited as the main reason per owner.

Rick Rowlands

I was unaware that it had closed AGAIN. Last I heard it was a banquet center.  So how long until this attempt closes up?  Puttng that brewery in there was the worst idea.  The place once was a good restaurant back in the early 1990s.  Since then its been closed more than its been open.

How is Anthony's Across the Street doing?  Are they still open? 

Defend Youngstown

A YPD officer is reactivating the Brewery and it will be called Rust Belt Brewing Company. I was asked by the gentleman not to reveal too much information at present (as he wants to make sure everything is good to go before he goes all-out regarding marketing). He is currently securing his State and Federal liquor and distributing permits and has over 25 local bars on board at present for distribution. Cleveland and Pittsburgh distributors are showing interest as well. The facility as well as the outdoor stage will host regular entertainment.  A myspace page has already been developed. Rust Belt is also an official sponsor of the Youngstown Rocks the Arts Fest July 26th at the Chevy Centre/Front St. Literature/further information will be provided at that event. If all goes according to plan, this could be a significant addition to the downtown scene.

Myspace page:

www.myspace.com/rustbeltbrewingcompany

jay

I've heard that the B&O Brewery and Restaurant may open again.  Does anyone know more about this?