News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Belleria Pizza

Started by kitten44505, June 09, 2005, 10:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitten44505

If Belleria wanted to locate at the new site on their own dime, I would not object, and in fact would support them because they do make good pizza's.

My gripe is that the city's priorities are messed up.

Why isn't the Mayor trying to get a Save-A-Lot downtown?

His friend Henry has Save-A-Lot stores in at least two locations. It doesn't take much to open up or maintain a Save-A-Lot as opposed to a Sparkle or Giant Eagle.

By it's very nature, a Save-A-Lot would be a great fit downtown.

We have a Save-A-Lot in the Liberty Plaza, and I can see how it would help people on fixed incomes.

ForumManager

There's a Save a Lot in the city - on the soutside on South Avenue and it gets a lot of business.  A Save a Lot or an Aldi's would probably be very helpful to the neighborhoods on the northside and downtown. A dollar store would also help. Many of those folks don't drive and are forced into buying over priced food.  I know of people that trek all the way from the northside weekly to the Aldi's in Austintown just to save money on groceries.

As for Belleria, business begats business.  If they move in then other businesses might follow suit.  It's not always about how many people a business employs. Most small businesses only employ a few people. Those people might choose to live near their work, of course it will probably be college students in that location --- but that aside  -  If people move near a place of business then there is a need for other businesses.  Most communities are made up of small businesses.

I live on the West Side and thinking about it...the Belleria at the proposed location might be a quiker trip for me jumping on the freeway then treking over to Cornersburg.

Nathan Pavalko

I understand your complaint, but I don't think tha city can control what businesses go into downtown. They can encourage all they want but if a Giant Eagle or IGA doesn't want to move in the city can't forve it to.

kitten44505

Over the next three years, 6 new jobs will be created ... 6 part time jobs paying minimum wage.

The city gave Belleria a $50,000 grant ... that comes out at $8333.3  per job. If each worker put in 30 hours per week, they will get paid about 172.50 per week before taxes. Question: How long would it take the city to recoup that $50,000 in income taxes for the six workers?

Now if this same deal was given for a Dollar Store downtown, I'd be extremely happy. If it was given for a Save A Lot grocery store, I would be overjoyed to the extreme, but a Pizza joint --- even a Belleria Pizza joint? No way!

How many old folks that live in the three downtown high rises can gum their way through pizza's every day?

Nathan Pavalkp

I understand waht you're saying, but I don't know that you can com[are a blimp factory and a pizza place. The pizza place may not be the salvation of the city, but at least it's a viable business.

kitten44505

Point taken.

Having been involved in this city since 1970, and having had personal access to tons of materials relating to not only the closing of the steel mills (which by the way is now housed at the main branch of the Public Library) having seen moe than my share of wild eyed schemes come and go such as the Ecumenical Coalition's efforts to re-open the Campbell Works, two aircraft plant and blimp factory scheme, and a couple of brewerys (Miller and Rondenberg); I've had my fill of people using the city to fill their pockets.

If the city had half the money that flowed into the pockets of the carpet baggers who came here to get rich quick at the expence of our people, we could have rebuilt downtown Youngstown and still had enough left over so that we would not have to have imposed one of the highest income taxes in the state.

Thank God that YSU is here, and is doing more than it's share in turning Youngstown around.

Having said that, I get angry when any fly by night scheme is put forward like pizza joints that will employ only 6 people at minimum wage, when there are more importnat needs for the downtown such as a grocery store.

We need another pizza joint like we need a blister on that part of our body that meets and greets the chair.

Nathan Pavalko

I ment no disrespect to the senior citizens in the Youngstown area, and if I did offend you (Kitten) or anyone else I offer my deepest appologies.

kitten44505

BY THE WAY

I'm not the only one who objects to the Pizza joint.

I like most other folks in possession of the slightest degree of common sense want to see the widest diversity of small businesses as possible getting the limited amount of money available.

I realize that there must be more attention given to YSU students, but really, there are already several Pizza places in the downtown area. Personally I prefer Inner Circle pizza, but that's me.

I'll never be convinced that you can slap a large number of pizza parlors, fast food joints, or beer gardens in a limited space and expect them to all survive, and tell me what's wrong with watching how our public monies are being spent.

kitten44505

For those who don't realize it, here are the apartment complexes located in downtown Youngstown:

International Towers
Amedia Plaza
Gutknecht Tower

Now I realize that the bulk of the folks living in these complexes are Senior Citizens, and may count for nothing as far as the younger generation is concerned, but when planning the new downtown, the needs of these people needs to be addressed.

kitten44505

Don't be stupid, no one suggested steel mills, but there are small bsinessmen who could use that money more than a pizza joint.

One example ... Pig Iron Press which is hanging on by thje skin of it's teeth.

There's also a need for a small grocery store to serve those who already live downtown.

There are three high rise apartment buildings downtown for senior citizens or in your little world, don't they count?

Nathan PAvalko

Well, what kind of business would you like to see in the city? Steel mills? Those will never come back! The city has to attract some kind of business. You say you want to see the city improvve but you only want your money spent on certian projects and in certian ways. I don't think you'll be happy until you can control city business all by yourself.

kitten44505

"The Board of Control approved a development agreement with th owners of the pizza shop that includes a 75% tax abatement on real and personal property for 15 years..."

This business propmises to create 6 jobs in three years ... six part time jobs at minimum wage. And for what? A lousey pizza parlor. Great job opportunity ... surefire upward mobility. Work there for three years and you might be able to afford a shanty along the railroad tracks.

Pizza parlors???

Perhaps I should apply for the kind of deal that Belleria is getting and start up a florest shop specializing in panseys and petunas. I would hire six illegals to water and weed the goods, and next spring sell them to Streetscape to transplant in their downtown flower gardens.

Nathan Pavalko

What money is being wasted? I don't quite understand what you are complaining about. Is it the 75% tax abatement?

kitten44505

BTW - This new project will employ 6 people over 3 years.

A REAL ECONOMIC SHOT IN THE ARM. GREAT GOING GUYS. BUT THEN IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY YOU'RE WASTING!
[/b]

kitten44505

BELLERIA PIZZA TO BUILD NEW DINE IN FACILITY
[/b]

The city has approved a 75% tax break and a $50,000 grant to Belleria Pizza to build a dine in facility at McGuffey and Wick.