News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

ACTION Banquet

Started by jay, April 19, 2007, 09:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

The Byzantine Center at the Grove, 3801 Shady Run Road, is a stand alone catering hall.  This facility is affiliated with St. Nicholas Church which is located on Wilson Avenue near Center Street.

The catering facility on Shady Run actually contains two halls.  The older hall is smaller and the newer hall, built about six years ago, is a beautiful space capable of accommodating very large groups. 

ForumManager

Thanks --  those are good suggestions.  Is the playhouse reasonable or is it in the price range of the other "big" places?
Isn't the  Byzantine  a church?
But that aside here is a  sample menu from their website, far cry from some cold cuts on a tray.
Menu 1  11.00 per person
Caesar or Tossed salad with two dressings
Choice of starch
Choice of vegetable
Choice of pasta
Choice of one (1) entrée

ForumManager

The price was not reasonable for what was put out and under normal circumstances the food  would be in addition to the rental for the place. The place was "free" because it was for a Symphony related event. After the beverages and dessert were added it was well over $9.
It was a deli tray, not a sit down lunch as in a restaurant.

Mary_Krupa

I know when I go out to lunch, the entree is usually $6 to $8, add a beverage for $1.50 plus, tax and tip and it's $10 plus. This includes places like Fat E's in Struthers, Friendly's in Poland, Lone Star, Denny's, etc. I know this is a restaurant meal not a catered event where there may be a price break, but still. What kind of rates for the lunch you described would you receive from the Georgetown, Mr. Anthony's, etc.?
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

Micky

What about the ITAM,  Youngstown Playhouse, or the Byzantine Center?

ForumManager

I realize that.  What options are there in Youngstown that compare to that private hall?

jay

ACTION is going to use a private hall in Boardman not a church hall.  I'm sure the private hall is going to make a profit on any event held there.

ForumManager

I disagree.
Other than the churches,  city banquet facilities and halls can be extremely expensive.
There are very few adequate and reasonably priced  banquet centers within city limits. If you can name several nice places not associated with churches I would GREATLY appreciate the info.
An organization may have no choice than to go somewhere where they can have a benefit without charging $75 a person just to break even.  In and around Downtown,  Davis Center, B&O, The DeYor are in the thousands BEFORE FOOD. This week our organization fed lunch to volunteers  for the Children's Concert for 2 days.   Since it was at DeYor, we were mandated to use Overture.  It was $9 a meal for a deli tray and a potato dish, iced tea,  coffee. Previously our ladies brought in homemade food and it was awesome ...  not allowed this year.  We brought in a cake on top of it. Meeting tomorrow- can't wait to hear about the bill. Over a hundred volunteers. I like to support city businesses too, but if you can't  break even on a fund raiser, why have it? The churches are MOSTLY reasonable but sometimes you want something a little different than a church hall.
If an organization like Action supports city programs with funds raised outside the city I say good for  them. Much better than the opposite case where organizations get grants and funding for  local programs and spend it elsewhere. WHICH HAPPENS A LOT.  ACTION isn't just about the city... it is active in the suburbs as well.

AND sometimes groups like the Symphony Chorus get a totally donated dinner, like yesterday,  even the employees donated their time.  Please name one city business that is doing that for the community. City  businesses seem to  price themselves right out of a poor organizations' budgets.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Update - the meal at Overture did not include iced tea and coffee but instead one free soft drink.  We brought the tea and coffee.

Mary_Krupa

I couldn't agree with you more, Jay.
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

jay

ACTION recently announced plans for their annual banquet.  In the past the group has undertaken many programs to deal with poverty, racism, and economics within the city of Youngstown.  When it came time this year to pick a location for their banquet, they chose to hold the event at a restaurant in Boardman.  To save this city, the organization must also be willing to spend their money in the city.  ACTION just doesn't get it.