News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Rate your neighborhood's crime

Started by northside lurker, January 02, 2007, 11:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

For anyone else visiting this thread, Greg started an even better thread in the police news section.

Here: http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=2107.0
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

yfdgricker

I just set back up my mapping software. I have a base map of the city along with all the streets etc. I could use some help. If several people could help collect some crime data, I'd be happy to plot out the locations on the map and do a few crime statistic maps. All I need would be:

Date | Time | Type of Call | Address or Intersection

Wordpad or text is fine, just put something standard between each of the fields so I can drop it into Excel and import the locations into my mapping software.

I'll try and listen to the YPD online scanner (which we know Jay really likes) a little more and get the information as well. If anyone has access to any additional listings of Youngstown crime locations, post them here as well and I'll get them added to the master crime map.

northside lurker

There has been a lot of talk about crime lately.  I understand the worst seems to be on the south and east sides, but that is vague, and I'm not familiar enough with the city's geography to know where many of these crimes are taking place. (Jay's "hot spot" map has helped)  I'm also curious to know just how widespread the crime is.

Using the Youngstown 2010 neighborhood map, can you rate and describe the crime problem in as many neighborhoods as you feel you know well?

I can only comment on 1--the "garden district" because I live there.  I would like to comment on the downtown neighborhood, but I rarely head down there at night or on weekends because I'm too lazy to catch the bus. :D

I would rate my neighborhood a 3/10 I guess.  I hear no gunshots, but I have been told there are a couple drug houses down the street. (so I would imagine that gun fire is a constant, possible threat)  We also have some problems with "swarming."  We have also had at least one house stripped, but it has since been demolished.  However, the complaints I hear most often at block watch meetings are about barking dogs, trash, and loud/obnoxious neighbors.  I have no fear of walking around after dark, but I am wary of my surroundings.  I also understand that it makes a difference that I'm a male.

Maybe we could adapt the neighborhood map and come up with a color code of our own to illustrate more clearly where the greatest problem areas are?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison