News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Preliminary Crime Maps...

Started by yfdgricker, January 03, 2007, 01:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yfdgricker

Quote from: Micky on January 03, 2007, 11:32:43 PM
The maps are insightful.  The icons are fine.  If you stack them, could they end up in different colors with numbers on them?  If we send you info on criminal activities, can we send it to you in Excel?  Maybe that would help you a little.   

Humm, that's a great idea. I'll see if that is possible. I've never done it but it's because I never tried it :) If you get any crime data, Excel would be the absolute easiest to use. It interfaces with the mapping software I use (ArcView 3.1).

Thanks!

Micky

Greg,
Thank you for all you've provided us.  You're wonderful and we appreciate everything!

The maps are insightful.  The icons are fine.  If you stack them, could they end up in different colors with numbers on them?  If we send you info on criminal activities, can we send it to you in Excel?  Maybe that would help you a little.   

yfdgricker

Quote from: westsider on January 03, 2007, 02:40:13 PM
These are great!

My only criticism would be that the icons are a little too big for the size of map they are on.  In the denser areas the icons overlap, making it difficult to see the full extent of the problem.  For example, on the business crime map, on market and south aves, there are so many :( that some obscure others.

I'm not at all familiar with the software you are using, so it this isn't a quick/simple change, please ignore me.

I think I can reduce the size of the icons fairly easily.

I also wish I could find someway to indicate multiple incidents at the same location. The data I made those maps from only contained info about the block the crime occurred in (ie. 100 block of XYZ st.) In order for the mapping software I use to plot the location, I had to remove the Block part and make it 100 XYZ st. It then would plot on the map. Some streets had multiple crimes in the same block. Each of those would show an icon but they would be stacked on each other :( That's one of the drawbacks of this kind of mapping.

I will try and do a couple density maps which show the number of calls in certain areas as various shades of color and see if I can get them to turn out correctly.

northside lurker

These are great!

My only criticism would be that the icons are a little too big for the size of map they are on.  In the denser areas the icons overlap, making it difficult to see the full extent of the problem.  For example, on the business crime map, on market and south aves, there are so many :( that some obscure others.

I'm not at all familiar with the software you are using, so it this isn't a quick/simple change, please ignore me.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

yfdgricker

Business Crimes

yfdgricker

yfdgricker

yfdgricker

Hi Everyone,

Here are some preliminary city crime maps I compiled. The data came from the Youngstown Police Department's Golden Gazette. There were some addresses that were not mappable but at least you get the general idea of trends and hot spots. The data covers 6/10/2006 to 11/04/2006.

I plan on going thought the vindy archives on line and getting the locations of the city's shootings. I'll plot those on a map as well. I'll try and compile that later this evening if time allows.