News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Northside Historic District

Started by Ted, November 02, 2006, 11:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

I might do some checking around upon my next trip up to Youngstown (which should be
by the end of this month, when me and the crew wrap things up here in MD)  and find
out who in city government can make this happen for the Wick Park Historic District.

H.K. Wick's Log cabin is still proudly standing on Illinois Avenue, just below the
park - and this house is arguably one of THE MOST historic buildings remaining
on the North Side.  It was built in 1885 (from what I have been told) and was sort
of a "club house" for members of the Wick family back in the day.  It pre-dates
the construction of Park Ave extension, Illinois Ave, Indiana Ave (formerly called
Park Ave), and the section of Bryson Street that runs between Madison Avenue
and Woodbine.

Bryson Street north of Woodbine used to be named "Mellicent Avenue", after
H.K. Wick's wife, Mellicent.

Allan
:)

Ted

With the article in Old House Journal stating that the Crandall Park - Fifth Avenue Historic District is the most affordable such district in the country, do you think the city would be inclined to get the other signs up? I have been researching this and there are 19 other intersections that would need to done. I found out that Claire Maluso would need to be contacted regarding this.

Also, Allan  brings up a good point as to the Wick Park Historic District. Maybe he can get some numbers of how many signs would be needed for that district.

AllanY2525

I would like to get some Historic District signs put up in my neighborhood - which is the Wick Park Historic District,
bounded by Wick Avenue, Elm Street, Madison Avenue and Broadway  Avenue.  My new company owns several historic
buildings  in this area.

Shar

The Fifth Ave Boulevard group paid for those signs and had them put up along the boulevard.  I agree that it would be nice if the City, who has the ability to make signs would make them and put them up throughout the rest of the historic district.  The Crandall Park historic district actually starts at the corner of Fifth and Fairgreen and extends to Fifth and Gypsy as well as the neighborhood east and west of Fifth.  You would think that the City of Youngstown would be proud of its historic districts and want to highlight them to the people that drive through them every day.

Ted

Has anyone noticed the Historic District signs that went up on Fifth Avenue, near Gypsy? I know the district extends well beyond the area that the signs are located. Any word of getting more of them up?