News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Neighborhood block watch meeting...

Started by northside lurker, November 13, 2006, 09:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Thanks for the replies.

I can relate to the fact that children have little respect for the property of others.  The neighbors on each side of me, and across the street from me have kids ranging in age from 7-15, and so my yard has become common ground, it seems.  But, most of the damage my landscaping has received has been accidental so far.

I like the idea of a community children's garden, and I'll suggest that.  But I don't expect much enthusiasm.  The person in favor of the idea seems to have her teenage boys in mind--a place where they can throw around a football.

Councilwoman Righetti (not sure of spelling) may be looking into this as well.  So, if there are liability issues, hopefully she will let us know.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

ForumManager

I understand your frustration.
It seems that the littlest things can bring out the worst in people.
I hope it doesn't tear apart your group and things work out for the best.

I'd like to comment on the vacant lot being made into a play area.
Good in theory.

If the property isn't properly insured it could be an issue.

I will say that I can see the opposition's point of view.
For whatever reason the neighborhood children congregate in my front yard daily.  We had a bench and we took it out to deter loitering.  ONLY BECAUSE... They have yanked at my plants, tried to pull a part my little fountain... which is anchored with tent stakes, fishing line and rocks.... and they  leave trash EVERY DAY. I've nearly given up.  I clean my yard and the two adjacent yards constantly and it is never ending. Doesn't look like I've done anything. I've even planted a really pungent smelling ground cover, which isn't spreading yet.  One day I stopped a little girl and asked her NICELY if the pop can near her feet was hers and she said "no."
( I saw her drop it on the sidewalk.)   I left it there to see if she  might pick it up.  My husband said she came back when I was out of sight and stomped on it.  My back yard is fenced and I have found fishing poles and other assorted toy and trash items in the goldfish pond.  We had turtles and one by one they disappeared right after some kids started questioning me about them. The bulk of turtles were given to us by a teacher who wanted a "better" environment for them as they were outgrowing the baby pool in his classroom. We added a top "layer" to the fence to deter "climbers."  When we had a swimming pool, kids would break into the yard in the middle of the night to swim. We removed the pool.  Now we have no pool and a very alert dog. The dog has helped - medium size - but with a "big dog" bark.

Anyway, what I am getting at is, the lack of respect that children seem to have these days for their neighbor's  property.

I'm all for giving city kids room to play -- If the children are given clear  guidelines and realize that there might be consequences if they don't respect the adjacent properties. AND there is follow-through on the consequences.

The space might be better used a community "children's garden" where they can learn about growing things. Perhaps after all of their own effort they might learn to respect their neighbors' yards.

FM

jay

Thank you for the report.  I wish other block watches throughout the city would also post their meeting notices and meeting reports to this forum.  We have to keep each other informed about neighborhood problems and the solutions to those problems.

northside lurker

The S. Portland, S. Lakeview, and Olson block watch meeting was tonight.  Unless anyone is interested, I don't plan on making a report for all of our meetings in the future.  But I have to vent a little frustration about this one.

The meeting went very well, for the most part.  The police officer who was in attendance (I'm terrible with names, I forgot his instantly) talked to us about the K-9 situation.  The police dept. would like to have 3 dogs.  He also explained that each dog would cost about $15,000. ($10k for the dog, and the additional for care of the dog)  Then, we were pleasantly surprised when the mayor arrived.  We continued on the discussion of the police dogs.  When we made offers to help raise funds, (bake sales, donations, etc) the mayor urged us to put our efforts into activities that would benefit our neighborhood first, because he wants the city to contribute as much as possible.

He also said that the city is in the early stages of creating a landlord registration system within the city.  They are taking their time creating this, because they want to be sure everything is right, and they will have something that is enforcible before they institute the program.

For the rest of the meeting the mayor mostly listened quietly, adding to the discussion here and there.

Here's where the frustration begins.  It was brought up during the meeting that residents on Portland would like to take the lot of a recently demolished house, and make it an open play area where kids on S. Portland can go play ball without being in the street. (but not a playground)  However, the person living on S. Lakeview, whose property backs up to this vacant lot, doesn't want this lot turned into a play area.  He want to see the lot planted with trees.  The 2 parties agreed to disagree during the meeting.  However, after the meeting, after most people had left thankfully, they started arguing about this some more out in the parking lot.  This argument got more and more heated until, suddenly, names and words starting with F began flying.  That's when I left.  It seemed as though we had accomplished so much in the last 4 months and then it all seems to fall apart over one little thing like this.

Now, I understand that maybe they will cool down and apologize like adults tomorrow, but I am having a hard time understanding how it could have escalated so quickly in the first place.  These are 2 of the most vocal people at these meetings.(but not the only 2)  If they aren't willing to work together, then our whole group might fall apart and we might lose the progress we have made.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison