News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Another Very Best Of The Best

Started by Towntalk, April 26, 2015, 01:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

I have some suggestions for downtown signs for out of towners who are
visiting.  I put them in the other thread about signs for downtown.

One alternative would be to have a single visitor's kiosk on the town square
with paper leaflets containing a map of downtown and lists of upcoming
events, restaurants, places to see around town, etc.  A lot cheaper than
making multiple kiosks and placing them all over the downtown.

Central square is pretty hard to miss - even for out of towners.  Tell them
to just look for the tallest buildings downtown and make their way to them.

Peggy Gurney

I'm pretty sure that the purpose of the signs is to guide people who do not live in Youngstown or surrounding areas.

However, I still maintain that there is way too much focus on downtown and not nearly enough focus on the rest of our city and neighborhoods.
That money being spend on those silly signs could do a lot more good elsewhere.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

Provided they have intelligence enough to know how to use GPS. After a few drinks, many of them wouldn't have sence enough to know where the toilet is even if they were standing right in front of the door.

Rick Rowlands

With GPS, the need for signs are rapidly diminishing anyways.

Towntalk

OK, I conceed to what constitutes downtown Youngstown, but I still say that banners to guide people around downtown Youngstown is a lame fool idea born in the brain of a political hack with the sense of a flee and the brain of a stone statue. If people don't know their way around downtown, they have no business going there. Blame fools that they are they'd better just sit back and avoid showing the world what fools they are. Over the years thousands of people frequented downtown events without bloody posters to guide them around town with no problems.

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on April 27, 2015, 08:18:42 AM
The new signs will tell you where downtown is!   ;D

Northern border 422 expressway, east Crab Creek, south Mahoning River West Belmont Ave.  Once you cross those boundaries you don't feel like you are downtown anymore.

Exactly.  A google search of 'downtown Youngstown, Ohio' supports this.
Madison Ave expressway to the north, crab creek to the east, Mahoning River to the south, and Belmont Ave to the west.   According to the map.

Quote from: Towntalk on April 27, 2015, 08:22:57 AM
Who really cares what the "downtowner's" think about anything.

I do. I care about what everyone thinks about most things.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

Who really cares what the "downtowner's" think about anything. Their opinion on anything under the sun, moon and stars isn't worth a slug from out of a fuse box. The CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT ENDS AT RAYEN AVENUE PERIOD. IT ALWAYS AS BEEN, AND ALWAYS WILL BE. Historically everything past Rayen Avenue was residential and every Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of the City of Youngstown will support that.

Rick Rowlands

BTW, the food at Golden Dawn is not on par with food at MVR.  Not even close. 

Rick Rowlands

The new signs will tell you where downtown is!   ;D

Northern border 422 expressway, east Crab Creek, south Mahoning River West Belmont Ave.  Once you cross those boundaries you don't feel like you are downtown anymore. 

Peggy Gurney

According to most downtown-ers, the northern border of downtown is the Madison Ave Expressway. That would encompass YSU, as well.

Downtown is bordered on the west and south by the Mahoning River.  I thought (was told) that Crab Creek is the unofficial eastern border.

So in truth, who knows?  Not me.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

Where does downtown Youngstown end and the North Side begin? Madison Avenue? Broadway? Gypsy Lane? Every Tom, Sam and Pete have many different ideas about whete the downtown area ends and the various other sides of town begin, and to be honest about it, I'm just as fed up as I can be.
EXAMPLE: According to some the downtown area ends at the far end of the Mahoning Avenue Bridge going west; the South Side begins at the end of the Market Streetr and South Avenue bridges; going East, the east side begins at the end of the Oak Street and the East Federal Bridges.

Peggy Gurney

Actually MVR is considered downtown, rather than north side.
I really like MVR.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

Cassese's MVR was founded in 1927 and like the Golden Dawn has been under the same family making the restaurant 88 years old.

Towntalk

Both NORTH SIDE restaurants have been in business longer than any other Youngstown restaurant and IN THE SAME FAMILY THE WHOLE TIME.

Towntalk

MVR stands equal to the Golden Dawn as the greatest locally owned restaurant in the Valley ... LOCALLY OWNED AND OPERATED!