News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Job Fair DOwntown

Started by Mary, September 14, 2006, 10:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForumManager

I was there for a meeting with the SteelHounds that day. I checked out the fair for a few minutes afterward.  When I pulled in, I saw people waiting in line outside to get in and MANY were wearing tshirts, shorts,  baseball caps, bummy clothes, etc... I had the same reaction as you. I thought "is this professional dress?"  I was wearing a button down shirt  and khakis for my meeting and I would never have considered approaching one of those employers in my attire.  DIfferent strokes for different folks, I guess.

Mary

On Monday I went to the job fair at the Chevy Center. I thought this would be a good place to see what is out there and actually get to talk to employers. The fair it self was good. A little crowed but i thought that was a positive. What totally appalled me was the people that showed up for this event. In the advertising for the event it was stated over and over again professional dress. A large number of the people that showed up looked like bums to me. Not all, but enough for me to notice and almost feel overdressed. People brought kids with them which also shocked me. Most of the employers were local but there were some from Cleveland and other areas. If we want people outside the area to know that Youngstown is not just a ghetto then we need to start taking pride in ourselves and that will show pride in our valley. I understand that some of those people were looking for truck driving and labor jobs but you can still put on clean khakis or at Least clean jeans and a decent shirt.
On a side note the mayor and a Trumbull county commissioner showed up while I was there. Nice to see that elected officials are making the effort to go to local events.