News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Youngstown City Council Meeting Videos

Started by Towntalk, August 30, 2014, 07:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

There are inherent problems with Skype, and that is that the person using it would have to be standing in a location that would allow him to show the whole room, but if he simple relied on audio that might work, but then there are those who insist on both audio and video.
Now I admit that there are many flaws with the way Youngstown Happenings is covering Council and the Commissioners. It's totally unprofessional with all the extraneous noise and the man with the camera laughing and making other noises. Professional videotographers remain absolutely silent while their equipment is live. It's distracting and quite annoying, but for the present, it's all we have.
By the way Jay, no doubt these feeds are recorded and edited, and no doubt the people doing it are not professional broadcasters using professional equipment which accounts for why it's not live.
Even when WKBN and WFMJ (radio) were broadcasting City Council meetings, the meetings were recorded for broadcast later that evening. Also, the recordings were edited to fit into the time slot, usually a half hour, so even then you were not getting gavel to gavel coverage. WBBW never broadcasted Council meeting but only had a reporter there.
In this digital age with the TV stations having at least two sub channels, there is no reason why Council meetings couldn't be carried on one of them except for the fact that if they carried Youngstown City Council, the other communities would demand equal time, and that would cut into the station's bottom line profits. Remember, only one commercial TV station is locally owned (WFMJ).

AllanY2525

A couple tablets running Skype (ANY o.s. on the tablets) could stream the whole damn
meeting and everyone could attend on the Internet......

Someone wanna use their 5 minutes with the Mayor next month and suggest this?

;D

Towntalk

First of all my friend how many can fit into the back room where the committee meets? How many can fit into council chambers? I understand where you're coming from my friend, and in many ways you are right ... more people should make a point of attending each and every council meeting. Every seat should be filledand every standing space should be occupied, but hounding people isn't going to help ... most people are obstinate when hounded and dig their heels deeper ... most folks are a stuborn as Sam's mule.

jay

Nothing would beat live coverage, but it won't happen.

Nothing would beat numerous concerned citizens attending, but most have their excuses.   :(

Towntalk

Shoot nothin' ain't purrfectical, an' I's heres ta testefly bouts dat.

Towntalk

Better than nothing my friend, better than nothing.

jay

This website posts the video many days after the actual meeting and the photographer doesn't always attend every city council meeting.  :'(

Example

Where is the video from the contentious city council meeting held on Wednesday, August 20?