News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Junk E-Mail

Started by Towntalk, August 28, 2006, 03:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForumManager

I get tons, especially since my contact info is on several websites.

I use Thunderbird (mozilla.com) as my email program. 
It has a junk filter that you can train.
It isn't always accurate but it is pretty darn close.

I especially  like the feature that tells you that it thinks an email is a scam.

Also you can block images that are remotely hosted.
That is one way spammers can tell if your email address is legit.
If you open the email and a remote  image on their server is viewed it will show in their stats.

All of my remote  images are blocked initially and I click  a button that says to show the images if I want to see them.
This doesn't hide attached images, like the picture of Aunt Suzy, just ones that are on websites and the websites are sent to you.

I also have a gmail account and they are adding spam features all the time.

Most email programs have "filter" features and you can have legitinate email go into folders...IE stuff from Aunt Suzy, stuff from CNN, stuff from this forum, etc.  That will leave unfiltered mail in your general inbox.

One thing you can do to cut down on spam in your main account is to get a yahoo or gmail address and use it when you post to forums, sign up for newsletters, put contact info on your website. 
Or keep what you have now and give the new address to trusted contacts.
You probably already have a Yahoo ID if you belong to any yahoo groups.

A note about spam. Servers are really trying to cope and unfortunately it makes things difficult for legitimate emailers.
Last year I attempted to send an announcement email to this forum through the forum newsletter feature.
I was shut down from using my email and I called the server to find out what happened.
I went over my quota of hourly emails.
Since moving to the new server, the spam measures are even tighter.  They will adjust your limits if you can tell them why you  need to send x number of emails out at the same time. My limit was 50 and is now 300. I asked for 200 since we had over 160 members at the time.  My point is that the servers are trying to do their part in keeping their customers from spamming.

I have several gmail invitations left --
If anyone wants an invitation,
PM me with your email address through the forum.

AllanY2525

Yahoo mail has a junk mail box, which seems to catch pretty much everything I do not wish to get in my
regular email box.  Anything that does get past their built in mail filters can be marked as "SPAM", and
all subsequent emails from that same address/domain are thereafter routed straight to the junk mail
box.

Towntalk

Yeterday I totally ignored my E-mail just to see how much I got in a single day, and when I finally checked it my mail box was filled to capacity. Out of some 150 messages, only 5 were from people I accept mail from the rest was junk and spam.

I know that there are a number of filter programs available, but would like to hear from this group what filters they use if any.

Surely one of the local software publishers could come up with a dercent filtering program.