News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Cameras

Started by Towntalk, June 03, 2006, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

James the fact is that crime DOES exist on every street corner in Youngstown and guess what, it seems that blacks are committing much of those crimes.  No thats not racism thats a fact.   We had an attempted theft of a truck from my property two months ago and guess who the perps were?   So you will just have to understand that I WILL continue to look at black people with a bit of suspicion until they prove to me that they will not try to shoot me or steal from me.  To do otherwise when the statistics are so blatantly obvious is just plain reckless.

One of my favorite weekly features in the Vindicator is the "Fugitive of the Week".  I look every week just hoping to see a white man...

You have problems within your community and guess what....  Those problems are not created by whites and will not be solved by whites.  You must change your own community.

Frank Rizzo

The city should pick 4 major intersections on each side of town and start from there. Public Access Cameras should be mounted where the public does the majority of their business to deter criminal activity and keep commerce active and available. I agree those types of cameras should not be mounted on neighborhood streets. Closed Circuit Cameras should continue to be used in sting-type operations in trouble areas where only local law enforcement can monitor them with the oversight of our court system. I don't like the idea of people in Boardman, Canfield or Liberty township watching what some guy may be doing on say Princeton Avenue with their fingers on the panic button. If someone wants to snoop on a community they should do what the police should be doing and drive through the area and assess for themselves. Public Opinion is a great liberty that should not be repressed. My 2 cents.

jamesrivers

George...The recommendation for community surveillance cameras on our streets reflect the insight of someone who is way out of touch with the Youngstown Black Communities...Lets cut to the direct issue and that issue is that many non-Blacks believe the hype about crime existing on every corner in Youngstown, this notion is goofy and only a frightened Little Church Boy would follow George's advice ...As Blacks we want the same things for our lives and kids as you and we both share similar daily, weekly and monthly routines...all Americans basically do the same things as each other...Now ask yourself, Would You Want Surveillance Cameras on your Street?...No..Hell No!...This idea is un-American and stupid...

jay

If someone had home video of criminals in action, I definitely would like to see it.  When you know who causes the problems, you can avoid them or be very cautious when you see them. 

If the jails are full, maybe it is time to consider alternative sentencing.  I've seen some Mahoning County Sheriff Department inmates working off their time by cleaning the downtown.

Rick Rowlands

What use would they be?  Why look for criminals to apprehend when we don't have the ability to house them? 

Without a jail that we can use whats the point of cameras or police for that matter?

Towntalk

What I was referring to is what they have in D.C., New York City, Chicago etc.

Those cameras are mounted in such a way that they have a wide view, and can pan in on command from a central point. Some cameras can even be swiveled via remote control.

How expensive would it be to have say 15 of these cameras, and a control center that is manned 24/7?

AllanY2525

You'd be surprised how inexpensive web-based cameras have become these days.
I've always thought it would be great to start a new home/business security company
(like a Wells-Fargo, or A.D.T. competitor) that could use the internet to "wire" homes and
buildings with surveillance cameras via the worldwide web and use the person's
broadband internet connection to monitor the premesis.

Towntalk

You've most likely have read that many cities have installed surveillance cameras in areas of their cities, and that these cameras are specially designed so that they can be operated from a central location.

The question is, can the City of Youngstown afford to acquire and maintain these cameras?

In those cities that do have them, they are monitored 24/7 by trained personal. Most of the cities that have them lease them from a company that provides the civilian personal, while in others they are monitored by police officers.