News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Traffic Cameras In School Zones

Started by jay, January 03, 2013, 05:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

our2cents

I agree with enforcement of the laws....by sworn police officials....not private corporations.  The city of Cleveland has every citation reviewed by a sworn officer...and they have speed cams and traffic cams throughout the city.  That is the difference here.  I agree that nobody has the right to break the law...but the laws also concern who is a legal officer...and that involves the OPOTC hours that every officer must attend school for...not someone sitting behind a private co. desk and only seeing something when a dispute happens.  I'm one that slows for every school zone anytime during the day, so I'm all for safety.  but I'm also big on what this country was originally based on and what it has had the laws enacted for.  There is a reason that if we want to make a "citizens arrest" we must contact the official law enforcement agencies to do it....basically this private company at this point has not been restricted in their system.  Set it up with an officer to review every citation before it's issued and I have no problem with it.

sfc_oliver

If I remember right a few years back Girard put in a few cameras...

One of the biggest complaints I heard on the radio was that it wasn't fair to get caught speeding when there was no policeman there.....

If you are speeding, especially in a school zone then you should be caught and fined no matter how you are caught.

It is not alright to break the law because you can get away with it..........
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

jay

Why?Town

There could easily be an issue with the camera time setting similar to $.02's flashing sign. 15 minutes or even an hour off could get you cited and be hard to prove.

Something needs to be done but a real live officer would be my choice.

Rick Rowlands

The lights on Wick at Ursuline do not work at all. 

The timing of the cameras will be based upon what the ordinance says and not when the lights are flashing.

just yesterday I witnessed three separate incidents in which Youngstown drivers either turned left on red, blew through a red light without stopping or stopping then proceeding through a red light.  This city needs to crack down on traffic violations as a first step toward cracking down on all crime in the city.

our2cents

Get ready for false tickets out of timing.  The school zone on Oakwood for St Brendan's school has been flashing from 8P-4A daily since school started.  The city has been notified and yet has not bothered to fix it.  So basically I guess doing 35 at night will get me a ticket, but blasting the kids during the day won't.  And I wouldn't mind seeing some red light cameras, if for no other reason to make people think 2x.  There are so many crashes on Oakwood and Connecticut related to red lights and people blasting them at 45-50.  Again, my only concern is a private company reviewing...after someone complains about their computer auto-citing someone.

Rick Rowlands

Red light cameras are also needed with Youngstown's reputation for disregarding traffic signals.

jay

Get ready for traffic cameras in the Youngstown school zones.