News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Wick Building

Started by kitten44505, March 31, 2005, 05:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

QuoteI don't know about the other tenants, but the costs to the radio stations will be huge. I don't know if the old WASN building is still available, but I do know that it is not large enough to hold three stations. These stations are just getting by being low powered stations, and do not have the reach of the Clear Channel stations, which means that they do not draw the sort of ratings that would allow them to generate enough profit to build a facility.

It would be sad if we were to loose them.

If they could move into the old Phar Mor building, there is already a former television facility there complete with two studios that the old Phar-Mor Productions used, and it could be quickly converted to radio use if it hasn't been ripped out.

The big question would be: could three stations occupy the space.

The Master Control Room is large but they would need three control rooms and at least one studio.

We'll see though.

I think you're onto something with this idea.  Even if the
existing studio(s) (if they're still there) aren't large
enough for the radion stations to share, the Phar-More
building is more than big enough to add onto an existing
studio setup.

ytowner

From DOWNTOWN: Last I heard on this issue is they will be forced to move into the NAT CITY Building. But I thought those NYC People bought that?

kitten44505

I don't know about the other tenants, but the costs to the radio stations will be huge. I don't know if the old WASN building is still available, but I do know that it is not large enough to hold three stations. These stations are just getting by being low powered stations, and do not have the reach of the Clear Channel stations, which means that they do not draw the sort of ratings that would allow them to generate enough profit to build a facility.

It would be sad if we were to loose them.

If they could move into the old Phar Mor building, there is already a former television facility there complete with two studios that the old Phar-Mor Productions used, and it could be quickly converted to radio use if it hasn't been ripped out.

The big question would be: could three stations occupy the space.

The Master Control Room is large but they would need three control rooms and at least one studio.

We'll see though.

jay

The city sold the building for $125,000.  That was less than $11,400 per floor for the eleven story building.

The city has a way of practically giving its assets away --- doesn't it?

I wonder how many of the displaced tenants will relocate their businesses to other downtown buildings.

kitten44505

LATEST NEWS

All of the businesses currently in the Wick Building will be forced to relocate and the building will be turned into an apartment building.

This same company said they wanted to turn the Reality Building into a Condo a ouple of years ago but NOTHING has come of it yet.

How long will the Wick Building stand empty?

ytowner

Okay I say 33 is wrong. They are bad in every aspect of there news except sports.

21 Is the best.

kitten44505

You are absolutely right.

When a building has a 72% occupancy rate, you don't rock the boat, and as I understand, the City may fill up the remaining 28%.

It's good to see that the new owners are going to upgrade the building by spending over $300,000 to do so.

The question is, they also own the Reality Building, and there was talk about turning it into a condo, yet so far as I know that project is yet to be done.

Could it be that the News Reader was thinking of that project when talking about the Wick Building?

The Wick Building is a success story since most of the buildings downtown do not come close to that occupancy rate.

Hopefully with the new life that is coming into the old Phar Mor building, we'll see it have the same success.

Speaking of Ray Simon, it's interesting that in the early days of the Wick Building, a Youngstown lady artist occupied space in the building.

jay

Don't forget Club Core on the first floor, the Convocation Center offices, Ray Simon art studio, and a medical clothing sales office.

kitten44505

Could someone please fill us in. According to the Business Journal, the Wick Building is 72% occupied including three radio stations, a Law Firm and some City offices, yet according to 33 Eyewitness News, the new owners are going to turn it into an apartment building.

Someone is wrong ... either the TV News or the Business Journal.

It's inconsistent reports like this that raise serious questions about what is happening downtown.