News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Westside Sparkle Closing

Started by Towntalk, January 19, 2012, 11:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

That's possable. When Save-A-Lot took over the Union Square Sparkle a portion was subdivided to be a liquor store. Since Save-A-Lot doesn't sell booze it might be for another business that hasn't opened yet.

jay

Maybe the building will be subdivided for other purposes.

Towntalk

Why would some blame fool lease a building that big for such a limited stock? It just doesn't make sense. The heating bill would take a big bite out of the profits.

What are they calling this fool hearty venture?

jay

I was in the convenience store this week.  They only sell beer, wine, pop, chips, cigarettes, lottery tickets, and money orders.  Most of the ceiling lights have been turned off.  Yellow tape blocks off the grocery area of the former Sparkle Store.  The convenience store is not very inviting.

northside lurker

:(  I didn't urgently need anything from there.  But I thought I heard they were closing on the 13th?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

This Sparkle Market is now closed.

jay

The grocery items at the Sparkle Market were 25% off today.

iwasthere

i like the idea of a coffee shop. :)

Rushblvd

The SANDIE Project is in part a clean up--I think that will start up soon--I also believe we have a 7th Ward gal trying to get  coffee shop up and running on South Ave in the near future--

iwasthere

what happen to the SANDIE Project? was not that supposed to stop the further downfall of the ss on south ave?  ???

jay

Blvd.,

I've seen this happen of the south side and now it's starting to happen on the west side.  The corridors decline when our city's residents refuse to patronize our own local neighborhood businesses.

Rushblvd

In fairness to the great residents of the South Side -I being one of them--We are really trying to better South Ave...We have had some bad times on that stretch of the road, but the neighbors and blockwatch groups are really trying to make it a safe and nice area..Cleaning up that corrider has been what all the neighborhood groups want...It really is only a few eyesores that cause all the problems and we cannot seem to get rid of them--but we are trying.... 8)

jay

The electronic sign on the outside of the building lists all items 10% off retail price.

Towntalk

I doubt that Mahoning Avenue will become another South Avenue which is a killing zone. When I lived on Halls Heights as a high school student back in the early 1950's, Mahoning had a good variety of stores, two theaters and several churches as well as several gas stations. Today I live on Elm Street and have lived here for 30 years, and the same can be said for Elm that is happening on Mahoning, but Elm is no war zone, and in point of face, thanks to YSU, museums and a major concert hall it's a center of culture. I'm in walking distence of two libraries, two art galleries, Stambaugh Auditorium, three museums, and as I said before, I have a grocery store across the street from me, and while it's small, it has all the essencials I neen between my monthly trips to Giant Eagle and Save-a-Lot.

jay

I sure hope that Mahoning Avenue doesn't end up like South Avenue.

:(