News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Warner Family

Started by kitten44505, April 20, 2005, 07:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

traveling fools

Cass Warner is coming in today for a tour of the city, powers and etc. the youngstown-mahoning county convention and visitors bureau set this up. too bad they are closing their doors april 28th. thats politics at work for the county.

cass is looking forward to coming to the city. watch the news tonight for more information about her visit with the cvb and youngstown.

BONNIE

8)I HAD NO IDEA ABOUT THE WARNER FAMILY AND NEW CASTLE GETTING ALL THE GLORY FROM THAT.  WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP????? WE NEED TO BRING BACK YOUNGSTOWN IN A BIG WAY. I AM WILLLING TO DO ANYTHING TO DO THAT. I AM BORN AND RAISED IN THE YOUNGSTOWN AREA. I REMEBER GOING DOWNTOWN WITH MY GRANDMOTHER WHEN DOWNTOWN HAD DEPARTMENT STORES. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUNGSTOWN PROSPER.

AGAIN WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP???

Smokey362

It's funny that The Warner Family should appear on this board.  My mother now resides at Assumption Village.  She was a waitress at the Crystal, the Oyster House, and the Mural Room...and she always spoke highly of Mr. Jack Warner.  She said that he was a very nice man who always looked foreward to coming back to Youngstown.

Nathan Pavalko

I would agree that much of the "work" in the city is all talk and no action, but that is where groups like Youngstown Streetscape come in. They are actually doing somthing about the state of our city. And in response to Kitten, I know that I would very much be interested in trying to get the Warner Film Festivil (or somthing similar) into the city. I'll help if I can.

kitten44505

Jay:

Would you be willing to work with me on one specific project such as setting up a film festival and pressing the fact that Youngstown was the home of the Warner Brothers, and that it was in Youngstown that they began their interest in the theater?

jay

One of the ideas stressed in the 2010 Planning is the curb appeal of the city.  A tipped over tree, broken glass on the sidewalks, and litter in the doorways of abandoned buildings give the impression that no one cares at all what the city looks like.  The tree in question was not mentioned until several days had passed.  Surely if I, the casual visitor to the downtown, saw the tree, those responsible for maintaining the appearance of downtown should have noticed the problem and corrected it immediately.

By the way, the Historic Preservation Committee of CityScape held a meeting last night at Stambaugh Auditorium.  How many readers of the downtown forum chose to attend?

kitten44505

While very short sighted people sit back and worry over matters over which they have no control Youngstown is becoming less relivant.

And in the process we are handing over our city's heritage to other communities. I've been around Youngstown since 1950, and have seen our city robbed of it's heritage over and over again because people simply don't give a darn.

I couldn't care less about a hand full of electric poles on Lincoln Avenue, and as for the Coridores into Youngstown, the city is working on that problem. Read the darn papers. The city is doing it's part in these matters, but what are we doing about those things we as individuals can control.

There are precious few in this group that have real fire in their bellies about pushing away from their computers and putting their actions where their key strokesa are.

They claim to love this town, but sure don't show it where it really counts.

New Castle folks swiped the Warners from Youngstown, and have been building on it, and Youngstown gets precious little credit.

I'm sick and tired of it ... I've had it up to my ears with the lack of real commitment on the part of Youngstowners.

Give me a group that is really committed to the point that they will put in sweat equity in building on projects that we can advance, and the heck with the things we have no control over.

The biggest problem with us is that we are all talk and no action and that cuts no ice.

2010 is good as far as it goes, but I'll not hold my breath until it's programs are implimented.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding angry, but I'm sick and tired of talking over matters over which we have no control.

If this town is to move forward, it must have people who have so much fire in their collective bellys that the heat could melt steel.

As for those who are content with just sitting back and waiting for the man behind the tree to do their work for them, step aside and keep out of the way.

Nathan Pavalko

I would agree that some things such as misspelled signs and abandoned buildings that are broken into may not seem like much, but it all can add up to a big impression. In the Youngstown 2010 class I am taking we have studied the coridores around the YSU campus (streets  like Lincoln, Wick, 5th Ave.) The fact that almost all the electrical poles on Lincoln are slanted and none are straight may not seem like much, but it can give a subliminal message that this is not a good place to be.

kitten44505

Where are our minds, and what are we thinking?

Other communities are benifiting from Youngstown families we are more concerned about misspelled words on a sign, trees that were accidently tipped over and other critical issues while New Castle and Slippery Rock University are profiting from a Youngstown family.

There should have been a Warner Brothers Museum here ... Not New Castle.

There should have been a Warner Brothers Film Festival here ... Not Slippery Rock University.

We as a city are losers ... and will continue to be losers because we lack vision, and so long as we lack vision ... the sort of vision that makes things happen ... we will continue to be losers.

Collectively the people on this board can make things happen, but only if we set aside trivia such as misspelled words ... open doors on an abandoned building that should have been torn down by now ... tilted trees ... and but our actions where our words are.

ONLY BY PUTTING OUR DEEDS AHEAD OF OUR WORDS WILL YOUNGSTOWN EVER AMOUNT TO ANYTHING MORE THAN IT IS RIGHT NOW! AND IF YOUNGSTOWN ENDS UP AMOUNTING TO NOTHING BETTER THAN WHAT IT IS RIGHT NOW, THEN THE SAME MUST BE SAID FOR US AS INDIVIDUALS, BECAUSE WE ARE YOUNGSTOWN, NOT THE BUILDINGS, NOT THE ROADS, AND NOT THE PARKS.

WAKE UP AND START SMELLING THE COFFEE ...