News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Would You Consider Volunteering...

Started by Rick Rowlands, January 24, 2009, 10:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tony

Obtain and Reward volunteer work
and build community with Time Dollars, see
www.tbmw.org

Cheers,
Tony
With Respect and Cheers,
Tony Budak
http://www.linkedin.com/in/tonybudak

Rick Rowlands

Sure Dennis.  Perhaps you could hold a Green Party event at the museum.  "From the memory of the polluted past arises the Mahoning Valley's green future", or something like that.

Jaime Hughes

I'm a history major at YSU and would love to get my foot in the door at the Museum, I'm actually going to school to become an archivist. Message me on here and maybe we can exchange details, times, questions etc.

irishbobcat

Rick:

Would you even accept help from the mahoning Valley Green Party?????

lol

Sincerely,

Dennis Spisak

Rick Rowlands

We have held two receptions at the site in recent months.  I would like to see us hold another event in the spring. Did you see the article about the museum in today's Vindicator?  We have been getting quite a bit of press coverage lately. 

Mary, the archives could use help in cleaning dirt off of boxes of YS&T documents which I recently donated.  There is also a huge unorganized mess of supplies and materials down in the basement that need organized. I could also use an assistant in a project to get about 50 nonworking lights operational again.  I can do the heavy work but its nice to have someone as "gopher" so I don't have to keep going up and down the ladder as much.  This is just the tip of the iceberg. So basically if you were to come down for a few hours a month I could find plenty for you to help with.

jay

Are the Friends of the Steel Museum considering any fund raising events?  Maybe they could hold a spaghetti dinner in conjunction with one of the downtown restaurants.

Mary

What do you need help with Rick? and how often would you need a commitment for? I may be able to help once a month or so.

Rick Rowlands

I'm trying to find a few volunteers who would be willing to give a few hours a month to help support the Youngstown Historical Center of Industry and Labor.  There are plenty of opportunities available at the museum, both working with visitors and also behind the scenes working with me on a few special projects. 

A Friends of the Steel Museum has been created and we are looking at ways to support the museum and its mission.  State support to OHS has been cut by 25% for the upcoming fiscal year, a cut on top of cuts last year and the year before.  How much more can be cut before there is nothing left?  This museum is a wonderful asset to the community and needs community support.  Until spring comes I'll be spending Saturdays there from noon until 4 pm, so if you would like to give us a hand come on down.  You don't need skills, just a willingness to participate.