News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Used Book Store Is Coming

Started by jay, April 07, 2013, 05:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

Just what type of books is going to be offered. I used to sell and buy loads of paperbacks from the store that was on Midlothian.....
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

Very few of the books that I bought for my Mother came from new book stores, yet 95% of those books were best sellers, and some were classics.

My own personal library of books came from free Google Books downloads ... my library of music came from free downloads from legitamate sites ... and my library of old radio programs came from a web site that offers free downloads. If I had to pay for any of these files, I could never have been able to afford them, but because they are legitamate sites that have never been challanged for copyright violations I have them to enjoy.

Rick Rowlands

There is a huge black hole of knowledge out there, pretty much anything published after 1923 up to a few years ago is gone except for where you can find the books in libraries.  Copyright protection lasts way too long and prevents important works from being more widely read.

Mr. Turow is whining about losing that Supreme Court case, well it was Wiley who forced the issue and now has to pay the consequences.  If that case had been ruled the other way it very well could have prohibited the resale of any copyrighted work.  That really would have restricted books if you couldn't even sell a used book on ebay or anywhere. 

Rushblvd

Is the concept going to be like the old Twice Loved Books on Midlothian Blvd??? If that is the case I love the idea

Towntalk

Speaking of used book stores, the New York Times today published an op-ed that would seem to fit the used book industry.

This industry goes back as far as the 19th century, and is a good source of cheap books and certainly over the years, I've built up a library for my family through this venue, so I'm not critical of it in any way, shape or form.

Further, I've built up my own personal library thanks to internet resources that have saved me literally thousands of dollars, so again I'm not in the least bit critical of this either.

So what's the point of referencing the Times article? Decide for yourself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/08/opinion/the-slow-death-of-the-american-author.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130408&_r=0

Towntalk

Wish them all the luck in the world ... I've been looking for certain books on Youngstown history, but the book store on Elm Street wants an arm and a leg for the ones I'm looking for. Fortunately Google books allowed me to download most of them, but I'd still like to have hard copies provided I don't have to take out a loan to get them.

Billy Mumphrey

jay

Watch for the opening of the Lost Pages Bookstore on Saturday, May 7.  The store will be located in the Pig Iron Press Building, 26 N. Phelps Street, downtown Youngstown.