News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Kress Building Asbestos Abatement

Started by jay, December 07, 2011, 08:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Since it is government money doing the abatement, the cost is going to be considerably higher than if it were privately paid for.  Prevailing wage, minority/women owned business participation requirements and some other regs serve to drive up the price.

Towntalk

Didn't even suggest that, but simply was interested in what services they provided to their clients. It might be a good idea if mahoningvalley.info had a directory of agencies in the valley where people can get help such as Easter Seals, Red Cross, American Cancer Society, and the like.

northside lurker

And, despite calling themselves a saloon, they serve no alcohol, as far as I know. ;)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

joly1584

Purple Cat is looking to purchase the building, if they can get appropriate funding.  They work with adults with developmental and physical disabilities.  Here is their website:

http://www.ironandstring.org/

They run Touch the Moon Candy Saloon on Phelps Street.  If you are looking for candy from your childhood you may find it there.  Touch the Moon also provides refreshments at the Monday night movies at the Covelli Centre during the summer.

Towntalk

Precisely what kind of organization is it that will be going into the Kress building? I understand that it has to do with people with disabilities but what sort of disabilities?

By the way, given the age of the Kress building it's expected that it will be loaded with both asbestos and lead based paint from top to bottom, and $300,000 while a high price is reasonable given the amount of work required to remove it.

AllanY2525

Wow. They're finally going to tear downt the Rayen building....

When I was 15, there was a dorm on the second and third floors of the building,
made up of converted two bedroom apartments.  My mother was the manager of the
Rayen Dorm for a year or so.

Tony's and Pogos were the two bars on the ground floor of the building at that time.
I used to hate coming home from work at night and trying to get to sleep with the
noise from both bars right under our apartment.

Both clubs were animal houses... lol.  One of them had the entire front end of a
Chevrolet Camaro mounted to the wall so that it looked like it had just crashed through
the side of the building.

northside lurker

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

The city of Youngstown is applying to the Clean Ohio Assistance Fund for money to abate asbestos at the Kress Building.

Guess the amount of the request?