News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Drug Testing For Those On Public Assistance

Started by jay, January 11, 2011, 09:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why?Town

I'm not sure about SS falling under public assistance but who knows what those @$%&* lawyers will do for a cause (money).

I do know that for the test I took for employment I could have been on any prescribed medication as long as I could actually show the current prescription. Now if it was for some anti-crazy pills I may have been passed over for another applicant.

Towntalk

The trouble is that laws can not discriminate. The ACLU would jump in and have a case of profiling in the courts.

We read frequently of well intended laws being declaired UnConstitutional because they tended to profile one group, and a manditory drug test would either have to include everone receiving public assistance or no one.

As to the difference between street drugs and doctor prescribed drugs we read about folks being hooked on prescription drugs that were given to patients for perfectly legitamate reasons. An indictive drug is indictive whether it comes from a drug dealer or a doctor. Even some over the counter drugs are indictive.

Why?Town

Yes common sense would be nice, so let's apply some.

Common sense tells me we are talking about the average deadbeat welfare case here, not senior citizens on Social Security.

It also tells me that there's a difference between prescriscription drugs and crack and meth, etc.

Towntalk

Sure, and force elderly senior citizens to take drug tests, and if they fail the test even though its due to the medications they are taking, and if they fail, cut of all their assistance.

Any number of legally prescribed medications that the elderly take would cause them to fail a drug test, but then why should we worry about Grandma and Grandpa?

Come on folks, there has to be some real common sense used here.

Why?Town

I had to be tested for a job so why not?

Stupid part was that I had to pay for the test myself out of my first paycheck but had I failed, the test would have been free.

jay

A candidate for the Fifth Ward City Council Seat has offered to give $5,000 of this salary, if elected, to start a program to test city residents on public assistance for drug use.

:o  <--  Just look at their eyes