News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Newspaper Research

Started by Towntalk, December 31, 2010, 10:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yfdgricker

Usually I don't have the luxury of knowing the date of the article. I haven't spent as much time downtown looking through old Vindicators as I use to. It's that "work 8+ hours in a library and then go sit in a library for 3-4 more hours researching" thing that gets me.

The people at the main library are really great about looking up articles though if you only have 1.

I am very excited about being able to search Youngstown Vindicator papers for various years though. This is really a great find!

Towntalk

Greg:

When I have a problem with a date or subject I e-mail the Public Library for help and they are really good at getting back. If you just need a date there would be no charge but if you need a specific article they will e-mail you the article at about 1.00 per page.

Also in searching out at Google, if an event happened say on 1/1/1900 try looking thru the 1/2/1900 paper.

yfdgricker

Excellent find! Thank you very much. I didn't have any luck searching for a headline that was in one of the papers, maybe in the future they will make the pages searchable.

ytowner

Towntalk

NOTE FOR HISTORY BUFFS

There are a total of four entries for The Vindicator:

Mahoning Valley Vindicator
Mahoning Vindicator
Evening Vindicator
Youngstown Vindicator

Use the Index to go to the papers under those names.

It's too bad that we can't save any of those old treasures but Google blocks the save function.

northside lurker

Very interesting!!!  Thanks for sharing.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Great News for Youngstown researchers. You can view the Youngstown Vindicator online using this link.

NOTE: These are full copies of the paper and cover the years from 1893 forward to 1984

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=pqgf-8x9CmQC&dat=19260321&b_mode=2