News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Farm livestock in city

Started by Towntalk, November 21, 2012, 02:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

One block watch on the west side was all set to raise chickens this year.  Permission was denied.  The block watch had to move the hens to the suburbs.

These are some to the delicious eggs from the former west side hens.

northside lurker

A little over four years ago, there was a couple who bought some acreage on the east side, who wanted to raise a few farm animals.  I was all for it, but they were ultimately turned down for a zoning variance because there was a NIMBY (not in my back yard) who said no.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

iwasthere

ytownshrimp i did not opposed your idea but how all sides handled this situation. i rather be awoken up by a chicken, theiving, starving artist any morning then a gunshot by yoyos.

Youngstownshrimp

Haven't I been living this nightmare growing shrimp in the City and now it is a topic of interest today.......I must have been ahead of my time....who is John Gault?

Towntalk

I was just getting up west side folks hooters.  ;) ;)

Really, if you folks want to oppose folks having a few hens in their back yard that's up to you ... I couldn't care less.

As to the North Side folks we are 100% opposed to the idea ... and that's a fact that you can take to the bank. ;D  Community gardens  :-*  yes  :-*  chickens  >:(  never  >:( . We'll leave that to the west side farmers  :laugh: .

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on November 21, 2012, 01:07:09 PM
Do you mean to tell me that the artists in the garret across the street from U-Haul are on welfare? Gee, if they're that poor, how do they pay for the materials they use to "create" art? If they're so poor that they need food stamps then they have no business wasting their limited financial resources on non-essencials. Who pays the utility bills for their garret? I suspect that the gas and electric bills for that building aren't cheap.

I have no idea.  You said they could steal some chickens living in Mill Creek Park, if the city allows small livestock.  I just linked to the article to say that starving artists don't need to steal chickens, anymore.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

A starving artist is an artist who sacrifices material well-being in order to focus on their artwork. They typically live on minimum expenses, either for a lack of business or because all their disposable income goes toward art projects.
Some starving artists desire mainstream success but have difficulty due to the high barriers to entry in art such as visual arts, the film industry, and theatre. These artists frequently take temporary positions (such as waitering or other service industry jobs) while they focus their attention on breaking through in their preferred field.
Others may find enough satisfaction in living as artists to choose voluntary poverty regardless of prospects of future financial reward or broad recognition.

Towntalk

Do you mean to tell me that the artists in the garret across the street from U-Haul are on welfare? Gee, if they're that poor, how do they pay for the materials they use to "create" art? If they're so poor that they need food stamps then they have no business wasting their limited financial resources on non-essencials. Who pays the utility bills for their garret? I suspect that the gas and electric bills for that building aren't cheap.

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on November 21, 2012, 10:33:41 AM
Put the stupid livestock on the west side so that the starving artists can paint them along with pretty posies. There's more empty land there than the rest of Youngstown ie. Mill Creek Park. The Lake Glacier/Lilly Pond/Fellows Riverside Garden area would make perfect places for chickens to live, and they would be close enough to the starving artists so that they could swipe a few and make a quick getaway back to their garrets

Haven't you heard?  Starving artists, a.k.a. "hipsters" aren't starving anymore.  They just get food stamps:
http://www.salon.com/2010/03/16/hipsters_food_stamps_pinched/
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Put the stupid livestock on the west side so that the starving artists can paint them along with pretty posies. There's more empty land there than the rest of Youngstown ie. Mill Creek Park. The Lake Glacier/Lilly Pond/Fellows Riverside Garden area would make perfect places for chickens to live, and they would be close enough to the starving artists so that they could swipe a few and make a quick getaway back to their garrets

iwasthere

its a no brainer that ytown should embrace the livestock issue with open arms then the vast empty lots on the east south and north sides of ytown can be produtive.

Towntalk