News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Farm livestock in city

Started by Towntalk, November 21, 2012, 02:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

The wild animals in Mill Creek Park don't count so please don't bring them into the equation. We here on the North Side have swans in Crandall Park and the occasional critter from Mill Creek Park ... groundhogs, raccoons, squires, chipmonks, but them critters ain't domesticated farm animals, so they don't count worth a whit.  ;D

Youngstownshrimp

Don't forget the Savages running around YukTown.

jay

Why can't some neighborhoods have chickens?

Over here on the west side we have Deer, Wild Turkeys, and Geese.

Youngstownshrimp

Farming is a basic fundamental right of property ownership.  The low IQ leaders of Youngstown and many residents confuse these rights with nuisance.  If foul odor or effluent damages a neighbor, you have legal action, otherwise it is none of your business if I am farming chickens or goats on my land.

irishbobcat

Maybe if we allowed more animals to be raised in the city then the simple life of the farm and country will grow!
Peace, no crime, and folks can sleep with their doors unlocked!....

kenneyjoe330

I wonder if a regular pig would be classified as a small animal  ???  Once a year sure would make an excellent Easter Ham  :o :laugh: ;D .  The bacon would go great with the chicken's eggs.  Aaahim - Id invite the neighbors over for a nice ham dinner and of course bacon for a Vetra in the fall - how does that sound joly  ???  I had a great garden for a number of years --- now nothing  :'(  I try to keep my yard at least as good as my neighbors - if not better.  We have no cats that GO right near people's front steps - like some of the neighbors and catch the birds at our feeder.  We try to bring the dog in the moment it barks.  We don't play loud music - well except maybe on Saturday 9:30 PM to 11 PM (someday maybe till midnight).  I LOVE my neighbors (expecally the cat ones) and I know the feeling is mutual - - - What is a few chickens, a pig and maybe a goat between good friends.  I would use the goat to eat my grass and I wouldn't need to cut it - if we could milk it that would be GREAT.  I remember here in Lansingville about 60 years ago  :-X  one of the neighbors had a goat to cut his grass - it nipped a child or two so we stayed clear  ;D   A lot of men raised carrier pigeons and had large coops of 20 or more pigeons.  Some of us had squab for dinner  :o 
I always think of the story of some people that bought a hudge beautiful place way out in the country and opened up day care center.  It was not long before the pig farm across the street lent it's aroma to the "hudge beautiful place".  Is that a kind of "buyer be ware" thing  ;D

jay

As the city shrinks, neighborhoods will have more vacant land.  I feel agricultural production (both vegetable and small animals) will be the next logical step as Youngstown becomes more rural in nature.

iwasthere

i was born and raise in a village by ytown. a italian immrigrant raised chickens for eggs and to consume. angelo kept the chickens healthy with a clean coop clean and we little tykes would ventured against the street to feed the chickens and act like chickens that was our morning entertainment until our mothers call us home for lunch. no nieghbors complained. angelo kept raising and consuming chickens until he died at the age of 92. there are too many uptight people on this earth. live and let live.

Towntalk

What about gooses or geeses or little ducks that go quack? Or what about a little pot belly piggy named Digby?

joly1584

It may be legal, but if you own chickens or livestock I would not want to be your neighbor, no matter how great of a person you are.  I do not know what the current laws are for owning chickens and small livestock in Youngstown. 

My opinion is chickens and livestock are for rural areas, not urban areas. 

kenneyjoe330

I live on a 50' by 150" lot and read somewhere (?) that I could have TWO CHICKENS and a small animal like a goat.  Is that correct?  If I bought the empty lot next door (50' by 150') I should be able to have FOUR CHICKENS and two small animals like a goat and a sheep  ::) and that would be legal.  :laugh:  What do you think of THAT  ??? ;D 

joly1584

You do not need a rooster for hens to lay eggs.  Hens continually lay eggs whether or not they are fertilized. You only need a rooster if you want to fertilize the eggs so they will hatch.  I get my info from growing up in Nebraska and visiting two grandmothers that raised chickens.

My experience visiting my grandparents farms -Chicken coops were kept at least 300 feet from the house because CHICKENS STINK!  No matter how diligent you are at keeping the coops clean.

I do not want chickens, or any other farm animals, in my neighborhood.  If you don't like the smell of a farm you live in the larger cities.  If you want to raise you own livestock, no matter how small the animal, you move to the rural areas.

jay

Biology Classes Are Needed

Some city officials questioned how a hen could produce eggs without having a rooster on the property.   :o

Youngstownshrimp

Youngstown will overregulate this basic function of man to feed himself, wherein man will no longer feed himself but rather be fed by the government, what is foodstamps?

jay

Quotethen a gunshot by yoyos.

The city government can keep chickens out of our city but can't get the guns off our streets.

:(