News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Selling Our State Parks For A Buck?

Started by irishbobcat, January 31, 2011, 01:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Moadus

Actually Dennis, it isn't a State Senators job. His job is to legislate, and it looks as though the legislators have already decided this issue. Hence Ohio Revised Code 1501.01

irishbobcat

Well, it seems our beloved state senator has decided to weigh in on the problem.....

and his answer is basically "It's not my job." 

Way to wash your hands like Pontius Pilate, Senator Joe....

Thank you for your email regarding the sale of the Jefferson Lake State Park to Jefferson County. I appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns with me.

Under the Ohio Revised Code 1501.01, "The director, with the approval of the governor and the attorney general, may sell, lease, or exchange portions of lands or property, real or personal, of any division of the department or grant easements or licenses for the use thereof, or enter into agreements for the sale of water from lands and waters under the administration or care of the department or any of its divisions, when the sale, lease, exchange, easement, agreement, or license for use is advantageous to the state..."

In other words, three people make decision to sell state parks: the director of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, the governor, and the attorney general.  The Ohio Senate does not have the jurisdiction or authority to interfere in the sale of the Jefferson Lake State Park to Jefferson County.  However, your concerns for the potential environmental impacts have been duly noted. 

Thank you for contacting my office.  If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Joe Schiavoni

State Senator

33rd District

irishbobcat

The State Of Ohio is considering the sale of Jefferson Lake State Park to Jefferson County. The state is considering to sell the park for a measly $1 to allow for drilling and timbering. All state parks belong to Ohio taxpayers, and the people of Ohio need to be heard. If the sale goes through, Jefferson County officials plan to turn this beloved park into oil fields and fragmented forests.

The people of Ohio have supported the preservation of our state's natural legacy regardless of the economic times or political party. In fact, our state park system was started during the Great Depression. Once again, it is time for the state to uphold the public trust, to protect our parks from sale to Big Oil and Gas, and to allow all of the stakeholders their right to participate in this process.

A back-door deal is not in the public interest of Ohio's most precious lands.

Timbering, drilling, access roads and construction result in habitat destruction, water contamination, air pollution, odors, noise and toxic by-products.

The sale of Jefferson Lake State Park would set a bad precedent for the entire state park system, and I expect Ohio's last remaining natural areas to be preserved for future generations to come. Please write to our state leaders and tell them that as a leader, it is their responsibility to keep this promise to Ohio that our lands will not be sold off, drilled, mined or compromised in any way. Please reject any proposal to sell and open up Jefferson Lake State Park to drilling and clear-cutting. Please protect all state parks.