News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Republicans In Youngstown

Started by jay, January 24, 2011, 08:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

I understand all this. The modern day kiss the babies and all that.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

jay

Sarge,

If a candidate lacks the money to run an effective and costly campaign, then the candidate must be deeply involved in the community first.  He or she must attend public gatherings and forums (even internet Forums).  The person must volunteer as much as possible and at the same time form networks with the electorate.

jay

The Gillams might be an example of one family rule.

sfc_oliver

I don't believe a Republican could get elected.

From what I've been told, while I was out running around the world for a couple decades, my Brother ran for council twice.

And the vote count was really pitiful. Which of course doesn't reflect so much on the party as it does his campaign.

I was asked about running when I first came back to the area. After looking around I declined.

I was asked about running when I moved to Lowellville also. Again I declined.

Youngstownshrimp

I remember awhile back, I asked a republican businessman why he does not get active in YTown, his answer was he can't stomach Youngstown.

Many years ago in YTown, I learned right away that the pool of intellect in YTown have drained to wherein, potential leaders and intelligentsia do not exist and mostly have vacated YTown. So, by default you have the inept bureaucrats and politicians with ZERO track record, let's study them, first how about:

1.  Anne Gillam.........anybody?

jay

Actually it's more like one person rule.  A person gets into office and doesn't face opposition at all (except in ward 4 & 5) and stays in office until term limits kick in 8 years later.

Where are the republicans?
Where are the independents?

sfc_oliver

Quote from: Why?Town on February 13, 2011, 08:57:29 AM
how much does party affiliation really matter at this level of government?

Good question, in many cases, on a day to day scale,  you probably would not see much difference. But look at where we are after 30 years of one party rule in the valley. Could things be different????

Why?Town

how much does party affiliation really matter at this level of government?

jay

For the most part, republicans have fled the city of Youngstown.

In the past, the city had republican mayors and even had several republican councilmen serving at the same time.

sfc_oliver

And such great things have happened in Youngstown over the past 25 to 30 years.....  :'(

jay

The Republican in the fifth ward almost missed making it onto the ballot.  He submitted 28 signatures.  Three signatures were invalid.  His 25 signatures were the minimum needed.

jay

The 2011 city council races in Youngstown

Ward 1
No Democratic challenger in the primary -  No Republican challenger in the fall election

Ward 2
No Democratic challenger in the primary -  No Republican challenger in the fall election

Ward 3

Ward 4
Three Democratic challengers in the primary -  No Republican challenger in the fall election

Ward 5
Seven Democratic challengers in the primary -  One Republican challenger in the fall election

Ward 6

Ward 7

As you can see, five incumbent councilmen are back into office without any opposition.

jay

A Republican was elected to the third ward council seat in Youngstown in 2003 and served until the end of 2007.

Towntalk

The sad fact of the matter is that the county GOP leadership conceded the county to the Democrats to the extent that they are little more than a branch office.

There have been viable GOP office seekers that have wanted to run, but the party leaders refused to help with the finances until they proved themselves worthy by actually winning at least once in a general election. GOP candidates had to foot the bill for their own campaign.

sfc_oliver

Do you really think a Republican could win in Youngstown? From what I understand the city has been dominated by Democrats since the 70's.