News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Kasich Gives Staff Big Pay Raises

Started by irishbobcat, January 10, 2011, 01:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

Half the problems we have in the area are because we refuse to be color blind. When will we learn that we have to be Americans first, before we are Black Americans or white Americans. People need to wise up, racism is still racism. And hiring someone just to fill a quota or a perceived quota does not correct it in any way shape or form. And yes we have been guilty of it for years here in the valley. Hiring police officers and firemen from 2 different lists. Thankfully we fixed that but lowered the academic standards at the same time... I learned to measure a man on his character, not on the color of his skin. This entire country needs to learn that.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

jay

Even our area's black republicans feel that Kasich should have appointed a few blacks to high profile positions.

ytowner

Who cares. I recall the discussion of hiring based on race in my ethics class at YSU. All the African-Americans in my class made it known they would not want to be hired simply because they were black, but rather because they are the most qualified.

People wanting this guy to fail are absolutely ridiculous. I never bashed Strickland until midway thru his 3rd year in office. I gave the guy a chance to fix Taft's mess and guess what, he couldn't do it.

irishbobcat

Kasich has the first all white-all male cabinet since 1962........I think there is something wrong with this picture in 2011.......

Rick Rowlands

I think he gets it more than she does.  To do as she ask would be to perpetuate discrimination. 

The fact of the matter is that Kasich is a republican, and there are not many black republicans in Ohio.  If something like 80% of the blacks in Ohio vote Democrat, then the pool of perspective candidates is quitelow.  So don't blame Kasich for the lack of qualified black candidates, blame the blacks for not being in the right political party.

jay

This quote made by State Senator Nina Turner appeared in the newspaper yesterday.  The senator was referring to recent cabinet appointments made by Governor Kasich.

"Today, in 2011, it feels more like 1811 in the state of Ohio under a governor who just does not get it."

jay

This observation was made on a radio talk show this morning.
Governor Kasich has not appointed one black to an important cabinet position so far.

Rick Rowlands

Did you even read my reply Dennis?  I said that I had no opinion yet because I did not have enough information.  How can that be a stupid response? 

irishbobcat

Typical Stupid Neo-Con response from shrimp and Ricky-Poo.........

Just because Kasich's deep pocket GOP made big bucks in the private sector, they should make big bucks
off the tax payers......

Then what about the union folks making big bucks off the tax payers, Shrimp and Rick......
You'll crucify any union folks trying to make a modest buck but you have no problem giving extra rich fat cats

all the money they want......

Typical WHITE-COLLAR BS!!!!!!

Rick Rowlands

I don't think many people make the connection between salary and quality of employee.  Perhaps these people have special abilities that are desired by the governor.  I don't know.  On its face these salaries seem high, but without more information it is impossible to make an informed opinion, so I will make no opinion. 

Youngstownshrimp

What were their salaries before and what were their track records?  I wager, they are taking a cut in salary to come onboard and clean up Ohio.  Strickland's staff most likely were professional politicians without track record like Ryan, Williams, etc., etc....................

irishbobcat

Strickland's Communications Director Keith Dailey, for example, currently makes $89,003. While Kasich's Scott Milburn is getting a bump to $120,000.

Press Secretary Amanda Wurst currently makes $69,992. Rob Nichols will get $90,000.00.

But the big boost is for Chief of Staff.

Strickland's Chief of Staff John Haseley makes $122,990/year but Kasich's incoming Chief of Staff Beth Hansen is going to receive $170,000. This is more money than every cabinet member but 3, more than the Governor and Lieutenant Governor, more than the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, the Attorney General, Treasurer, Auditor, Speaker and Senate President!

And while John Keeling doesn't appear to be on the list yet (it's still very incomplete), Jai Chabria is.

For his long-time friend and the second half of his two man office at Lehman, John Kasich made up a brand new position: Special Assistant to the Governor. And a brand new salary as well: $145,000.

Youngstownshrimp

Show us the facts, you are known to twist and shout.

irishbobcat

OK where's the joke here? Kasich gives all his top staff substantial raises in pay
while pledging to end the unfair financial burdens of collective bargaining and prevailing wage provisions.