News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Why Not Ohio? Winds Farms Set For Across The USA

Started by irishbobcat, December 27, 2010, 09:13:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishbobcat

Congrats to Dan......he is in the ballpark that wind turbines currently have a lifespan of 20 to 30 years.....

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile.....

however, you are still looking at close to 18 years of profitable returns from turbines.....

18 years of clean energy......not dirty energy.......

Dan Moadus

Ok Dennis, post the link that will tell me the life expectancy of wind turbines, don't just tell me you will.

Rick Rowlands

irishbobcat

Dan, I provide sources as well, you just don't believe them because you are a narrow-minded neo-con....

Dan Moadus

Here is an excerpt from a research paper written by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory: ( Despite reasonable adherence to
these accepted design practices, wind turbine gearboxes have yet to achieve their design life goals of twenty
years, with most systems requiring significant repair or overhaul well before the intended life is reached)
and here is the site where you can read the entire paper. http://tiny.cc/88v5j  Unlike you Dennis, I can provide sources to back up all of my contentions.

Rick Rowlands

Research shows an average life expectancy of 20 to 25 years, or 5 to 10 years of profit generating life after paying off their initial cost.

Dennis, are YOU an expert on wind turbines? 

irishbobcat

Dan, are you an expert on wind turbines? Do you know how long they last?

Please tell us how you are an expert to make that statement?

Please tell us how a Girard City Councilman became an expert on how long wind turbines last?

Dan Moadus

Part of the article that Dennis pasted said, "Union Township, Mich., has added three wind turbines to its energy portfolio in a move designed to reduce energy costs and help spur clean-energy research. The turbines were installed with help from a $67,000 federal grant, and are expected to turn a profit within 12 to 15 years."  That's great $67,000 more tax dollars wasted on windmills that will wear out before they even achieve profitability.

irishbobcat

Why Not Ohio? Winds Farms Set For Across The USA

The Department of Energy approved a $1.3 billion loan guarantee backing the development of an 845-megawatt wind-generation facility. The Oregon facility is sponsored by Caithness Energy and GE Energy Financial Services. The loan is provided by a group comprising 26 institutional investors and commercial banks, including Citigroup, Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ and RBS Securities.

Regulators in Cascade County, Mont., signed off on Invenergy's plans for a 16-turbine wind farm near the town of Belt. The 24-megawatt project could expand as much as tenfold in future phases, officials said.

Somerset County, Maine, could see between $1 billion and $2 billion in new wind-energy investment over the next three years, officials say. Up to 300 turbines are expected to be installed over a 1,000-square-mile area. "That's a significant amount of investment, no matter how you look at it. ... I just hope we don't miss this opportunity," said Jim Batey, executive director of the Somerset Economic Development Corp.

Union Township, Mich., has added three wind turbines to its energy portfolio in a move designed to reduce energy costs and help spur clean-energy research. The turbines were installed with help from a $67,000 federal grant, and are expected to turn a profit within 12 to 15 years.