News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Questions for Irishbobcat

Started by Towntalk, December 03, 2010, 01:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

I suspect that were any teacher under your authority were to use History Channel material in his or her classroom, that teacher would be up for review.

History is an important subject, both American and World, and for a television channel to trivialize it is wrong, and its no wonder why our children are so lacking in history.

It's bad enough that so many of the history books in our schools are sorry excuses for history not to add TV channels that pass themselves off as authoritative.

irishbobcat

Towntalk

Dennis, would you be so kind as to explain some questions that I have whenever I watch The History Channel or History International. At the heart of these quandaries is the question, where does science fiction end and science fact begin?

1.   The History Channel devotes a lot of time on so called UFO's as if they are really flown by men from outer space, yet I dare say that I doubt that any of our members have ever had a close encounter of the third kind.
2.   The History Channel devotes a lot of time on the prophecies of Nostradamus as if they are absolutely factual.
3.   This same channel spends a great deal of time on how our planet and the universe began, yet none of their "experts" were there to see it happen
4.   Again this same channel and its "experts" tell us how it will end even though they admit that it won't happen any time soon unless you buy into another notion that they promote that the world will end in 2012 basing it on an ancient Mayan calendar and some obscure native American prophecies.
5.   This same channel finally proposes that men from outer space taught the Egyptians and other peoples how to build pyramids.

Personally I don't recall any of the history text books that I used in school ever delving into any of these notions, have you?