News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Health Care Breaking News

Started by Towntalk, March 20, 2010, 03:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

connie254

I've worked along side those Filipino nurses. Besides the language barrier(part of language when working with the public is slang and the phrases we all use without thinking of it and they don't have a grasp on medical terms), they don't have a caring attitude. Once there was a dying patient in the middle of the night. We saw his heart rate slow down to nothing. All but this nurse went into his room to hold his hand in his last moments. She never left the station and never did anything else for him or his family the rest of the night. They will argue that they are right because of their culture(Americans are looked down on).
As far as who gets treatment. You haven't been in a hospital enough. Everyone gets treatment-it has been the law for over 25 years. Hospitals cannot turn people away. People on welfare demand a ride in the ambulance for menstrual cramps and have the hospital pay for a taxi home. The law states that everyone must be treated. Exemptions are made for those hospitals that don't offer services. For example, I worked in a hospital that did not offer maternity services. Women that lived in the projects across the street came there if they didn't have a doctor and were in labor. The ER had to keep them until they delivered, then transported them to a different hospital. This is why most hospitals are running in the red-the free care that must be given to those who choose not to have insurance. Even Medicaid/Medicare is a guaranteed payer.

Youngstownshrimp

The Philippines provides a lot of RN's to our country, when I was growing up in the Philippines as an expatriate, I took notice how health care worked in that country.  First of all the poor outside the US for the most part have NO entitlements, they are truly poor, infact, the entitled poor here would equal the middle class everywhere else.  I was hospitalized over twenty five times growing up, because we had means, I was confined in private hospitals with most of the working class.  The poor had free public hospitals.  People worked hard not to have to go to a public clinic.  The have nots have won this battle for now and we will all be lumped into the same hospitals, if a crack head is in front of you, you will just have to wait your turn.

ytowner

We Lost the Battle, but Not the War:
http://mvred.com/index.php/archives/national/271-we-may-have-lost-the-battle-but-not-the-war

There is my piece on this health care bill passing and the potential showdown in the US Supreme Court.

Towntalk

Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum: "On behalf of the State of Florida and of the Attorneys General from South Carolina, Nebraska, Texas, Utah, Pennsylvania, Washington, North Dakota, South Dakota and Alabama if the President signs this bill into law, we will file a lawsuit to protect the rights and the interests of American citizens."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/03/22/health.care.lawsuit/

Towntalk

Allan here is the link to today's Federal Register to give you an idea of what's there.

Federal Register
Monday, March 22, 2010
http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/aces/fr-cont.html#Presidential%20Documents

woozle

Jobs would help with our Healthcare system too.. People need Jobs...

Jobs = Healthcare

Towntalk

As far as I know just a simple majority.

The crazy thing about it is that there have been a large number of EO's that were crafted that have had serious consequences but were never reviewed by Congress, even though subsequent Presidents expanded on them.

One serious EO dates back to Truman concerning National Security.

The crazy part is that every Congressional office receives copies of the Federal Regester but I doubt that any staffer reads it even though this publication contains rules promogated by the various federal agencies that are enforceable as if law.

AllanY2525

I feel that everyone should have access to affordable health care, but I am
both disgusted by, and revulsed by, "back room" deals.  Our government has
gotten so corrupt that nothing which might benefit the people ever seems to get
passed until a whole rack of greasy, slimy politicians have first benefited from it in
private.

Someone needs to "out" all of the "deals" that were made, and put them up on
the internet - in plain English - for all to see.

Towntalk, does it require a 2/3 majority of the Congress to revoke an Executive
Order?  I know that it requires this majority to override a Presidential Veto, for
example....

I think that children and the elderly should be guaranteed health care, as these
segments of our society are either too young to work and pay for their own, or
else they've worked hard their entire lives [in the case of our elderly citizens]
and have therefore earned the right to be taken care of in their retirement
years by us - the generations that follow them.

As for everyone else, the government needs to keep working until they find a
solution that works equally well for the rest of us - ie: the everyday, "working
Joes".

Towntalk

You're right that an E.O. can not supersede statute but Congress must act to revoke it, and they have 30 days from date of publication to do it.

In this case, the Democrats asked for it, and since they are in the majority, there's little likelyhood that they will do so.

Again this E.O. can not become a part of the law unless Congress acts to make its provisions a part of the bill (at this point, it would have to be the Senate who would have to do it as an amendment to the Reconciliation bill that the House passed last night.)

Again, a number of states have said that they will challange the bill in court, and the White House is gearing up to fight it out in court.

iwasthere

From Maggy:

We have a law, but not the final law.It will be interesting to see if the House's trust in the Senate was well placed.

Also, this will eventually end up before the Supreme Court based on at least one of three reasons.
1) The deals
2) Whether the Federal government has the right to mandate an individual to purchase something.
3) The Executive Order, which does not supercede statute, as well as the fact the sitting President or any future President may recind it as quickly as it was drafted.

Government in action...can't beat it!

Towntalk

Executive Orders:

1. President crafts Order.
2. Order is published in the Federal Register.
3. Congress has 30 days to recind that order.
4. If they do not act it becomes effective.
5. Subsequent Presidents can resind, modify or expand on the order following the same procedure.
6. The Executive Order applies only to the agencies listed in the order.

sfc_oliver

Several States are going to challenge this as unconstitutional, I wonder if Ohio will be one of them?
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk