News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Candidate for 17th Congressional District......Dan Moadus

Started by Dan Moadus, July 11, 2009, 05:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishbobcat

Now, which conservatives out there still do not believe we need to bring back the Fairness Doctrine to radio?

Regarding equal time, Since Ryan was on a talk-show, it is considered a bona-fide news interview show, thus exempt from equal time.....

iwasthere

as i writting this response i am talking to mr kelly and he said, dm is a selfsering individual who only gave have of the story to this event. mr kelly told me dm was invited to have his views know on April 21st at the ytown sports grill from 6-8pm. mr kelly said ryan did not do any campaigning on ron verb's show.

Dan Moadus

This past Tuesday, April 6th, Tim Ryan was given nearly three hours of air time on the Ron Verb show. Anyone who listens even a little to Verb, knows that he shamelessly promotes Tim Ryan. I called Dan Rivers' show, and while on the air, demanded equal air time. Rivers said that Ryan's use of the Station did not fall under the Equal Time rule because he is an incumbent Congressman. I explained to Rivers that the rule only grants four exceptions, and none of them was, "He's an incumbent Congressman". Below is the rule. Judge for yourself:

315. Candidates for public office
(a) Equal opportunities requirement; censorship prohibition; allowance of station use; news appearances exception; public interest; public issues discussion opportunities
If any licensee shall permit any person who is a legally qualified candidate for any public office to use a broadcasting station, he shall afford equal opportunities to all other such candidates for that office in the use of such broadcasting station: Provided, That such licensee shall have no power of censorship over the material broadcast under the provisions of this section. No obligation is imposed under this subsection upon any licensee to allow the use of its station by any such candidate. Appearance by a legally qualified candidate on any—
(1) bona fide newscast,
(2) bona fide news interview,
(3) bona fide news documentary (if the appearance of the candidate is incidental to the presentation of the subject or subjects covered by the news documentary), or
(4) on-the-spot coverage of bona fide news events (including but not limited to political conventions and activities incidental thereto),
shall not be deemed to be use of a broadcasting station within the meaning of this subsection. Nothing in the foregoing sentence shall be construed as relieving broadcasters, in connection with the presentation of newscasts, news interviews, news documentaries, and on-the-spot coverage of news events, from the obligation imposed upon them under this chapter to operate in the public interest and to afford reasonable opportunity for the discussion of conflicting views on issues of public importance.

Rivers said that the final decision was up to Mr. Kelly, the station manager. I called Mr. Kelly, and he was very uncooperative, insisting that the Ryan broadcast fell under one of the exceptions. I explained that the broadcast wasn't a "news interview" in that Verb didn't interview Ryan. He was more of an advocate. Verb and Ryan actually were "tag teaming" callers who disagreed with the Congressman, and once played a pre-prepared sound bite to buttress Ryan's position.

I also said to Mr. Kelly, that even if he was correct and there wasn't any validity to my claim that I was entitled to equal time, one would think that the station would be glad to provide the public both view points on important subjects.

When Mr. Kelly would not budge from his position, I informed him that I would file a complaint with the FCC, and that's where it now stands.

It would even make a little sense if the station was overloaded with worthwhile broadcasts, but today Dan Rivers spent time discussing the lesbian high school student who wanted to bring her girlfriend to the prom, and the "End of the world" theories of Nostradamus. I was astounded.

As I said, I intend to follow through on this issue, as I think it is crucial that radio stations, which use the public airways, show some fairness and civic responsibility in providing to the public all the important information needed to make wise decisions concerning elections.

If you agree that this issue is important to Democracy, I hope you will take the time to express your concern to Mr. Kelly. His direct line is: 330-729-2500. Thank you.

Youngstownshrimp

Amazing,  all this hyperbole and gum flapping, "the emperor has no clothes!"  We've done more work accidentally than most here intentionally.

Dan Moadus

You would be very surprised if you knew just how much I know about the V&M project. Suffice it to say I don't need to know any more.

Dan Moadus

Hey Steve. Just what does it mean when you say there were $25 million dollars worth of "bureaucratic obstructions and uncertainties"?  It took $25 million dollars to clear up "bureaucratic uncertainties"?

And thanks for providing me all the "expert" analysis showing me that the Cap and Trade legislation would benefit the gas industry.  Actually, I never commented on it because I thought maybe you were trying to make a joke. Let me sum it up for the folks so they won't have to bother reading it. Steve's "expert" analysis article said that there will be renewed interest in drilling for natural gas, because the Cap and Trade legislation will make using coal so much more expensive. You see, at this time no one is doing much drilling for natural gas because, as the article points out, there is a glut of it, and coal is so cheap. So Steve's great idea, and Tim Ryan's as well, is to make coal more expensive forcing people into using more gas, thus having to drill for it.

Actually Ryan and his friends really don't want us using gas either, so they plan on making it far more expensive also. They really want us living like Amish.

Oh, and here's Ryan's latest pitch on the Cap and Trade. He's now telling us that the legislation has been made better by, get this, instead of making industry "buy" carbon credits, the Government is now going to give them to industry. Let me translate that for Steve. "Instead of charging you to limit your energy usage, the Government is going to limit your energy usage for free." Can these people get any crazier?

Dan Moadus

Thanks "iwasthere", I'm aware of the event and will be participating.
And Steve. To answer your question. I do think spending $25 million dollars to help a private business, not to mention a foreign private business is unconstitutional. Judging by your question, apparently you think that it is. So perhaps you will be kind enough to cite the consitutional provision that allows our government to spend taxpayers dollars on such a project.

Do you actually believe that the money for site prep would have been a deal breaker? Can you imagine a company ready to embark on a $957 million dollar project abandoning it because the government won't give it $25 million dollars? It is more likely that they almost balked at the project because our Congressman voted for the Cap and Trade legislation. I hope you noticed that they didn't go ahead until it looked as though the business killing legislation would not pass the Senate.

Additionally, if the project results in 400 jobs as touted, it means that each job cost the taxpayer $50,000.  What about all the businesses that employ the quarter million other people in the valley. Do you think some of them would like the chance to create jobs at $50,000 a pop? I have a body shop, and have often thought about adding a truck painting booth onto my building. It would cost approximately $300,000. Do you think I could get the same deal as the French company? I would hire six people.

iwasthere

dan rivers annouced that EVERYONE that is running for an office to call the radio station to submit thier names for open political debate at the sports grill. the number is 3309650057.

iwasthere

Dan Moadus

A quick check of this site  http://maplight.org/us-congress/legislator/444-timothy-ryan  shows that for the last two years Ryan received 82% of his donations from outside the 17th District. Predominantly, he receives the bulk of his contributions from Attorneys, lobbyists, and Unions. Is it surprising that he doesn't feel the need to respond to 17th District voters?

iwasthere

there is the Jimbo factor out there. he had representatives in the st. pat's parade this year.

woozle

Dan I don't care who's running for office this time around.. If your a new guy on the block you have a better shot than anyone else..

Dan Moadus

In case anyone's wondering, Tim Ryan is a "yes" vote on this weeks attempt at passing some sort of Health Care Bill. I just got off the phone with his office.

irishbobcat

Dan,I don't support THIS health bill......I support single-payer health care for all Ohioans.....

Dan Moadus

Dennis, while I've got you here, clear up something for me. You must know a lot about the Health Care Bill. For the people who are uninsured; I know Medicaid covers those near or at the poverty level. But what about those who are uninsured and are above the poverty level. At what level does the bill decide that someone above the poverty level should be forced to by insurance? And how does it treat people who don't qualify for Medicaid because they earn too much, but are living from paycheck to paycheck. Who gets forced to buy insurance and who gets it bought for them?