News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Candidate for 17th Congressional District......Dan Moadus

Started by Dan Moadus, July 11, 2009, 05:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why?Town

The problem is that they have our money to pass out (or not) to begin with. If that money had never left the valley we wouldn't be jumping through hoops to get it back.

Dan Moadus

In thinking about the lost HUD money that has been in the news recently, something caught my eye. We tend to think that these programs just pass out money without regard to merit or how it will be used, but in Saturday's Vindicator there was an article that indicated otherwise.

It said the reason the Valley was passed over was that the cities involved in the grant application failed to convince the government that they had the expertise to use the money properly or to implement the program adequately.

Wow! I was impressed. A government agency that was actually concerned about how the money that they pass out will be used.

It's too bad that we didn't get the money, as we certainly have enough abandoned houses to tear down, but at least we learned something encouraging......Dan Moadus

Dan Moadus

Chances are, you won't see a successful independent party in America. Our system isn't structured to allow it. The other problem is figuring out just what it is that they could stand for that isn't covered by the two parties. I remember Pero's Reform party. It attracted disgruntled people from the left and the right. The first time they met to draft a platform it was almost a riot. You are far better off electing people who represent your views and get them to change the existing parties, as I am attempting to do in the Democratic Party.

iwasthere

Quote from: Dan Moadus on January 20, 2010, 09:06:32 AM
I think last night America found out that the strongest party in the country is the "Tea Party"
nothing was change the other night you just exchange one political party with another party that both missions statements of their parties are destroying this country. if the mass. in dependant voters wanted change they would have elected a true independant candidate from a true independant party(ies).

Dan Moadus

I think last night America found out that the strongest party in the country is the "Tea Party"

sfc_oliver

I can't count the number of times I have said that we need to allow scientists the time to find and perfect the next generation of energy. Instead we keep allowing our government to direct and push whatever is "hot" at us.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Dan Moadus

That's fine, I don't have any problem with the government subsidizing research as it does for the defense and health industry. But just throwing money out for education in an industry that isn't even looking for workers is nothing more than "posturing".

Towntalk

The aviation industry receives billions of tax payers dollars annually from the defense department both for aircraft and R&D but I suspect that you object to that as well as just about everything else under the sun, moon and stars.

Do you also object to the billions of taxpayers dollars provided to the pharmaceutical industry for R&D?

Dan Moadus

That's nothing but a bunch of hot air. Maybe there is some tricky engineering to be done, but for the most part, constructing windmills and installing solar panels doesn't require anymore knowledge than that possessed in the construction trades. And the jobs don't exist because not many people are dumb enough to buy these devices. They may as well have classes in "jet belt" repair and maintenance. I remember twenty five years ago when showmen started flying around football stadiums with jet belts there were people talking about how before long everyone would be "jetting" to and from work. If Ryan was around then, he would probably be allocating a couple of million to educate people to work in the, soon to be burgeoning, "Jet Belt" industry.

At this point in our technological history, alternative energy is nothing but a cruel and expensive hoax. Check out this site to see how well its working out for our European friends: http://tinyurl.com/daun7m 
You will find that Denmark which has over 6,000 windturbines and is the leading world in moving to this energy source has yet to even replace a single fossil fuel plant.

If anyone gives it even a moment's thought, they could understand that if it was feasible at this stage, and could compete with fossil fuel generators it would be flourishing. The simple fact that it hasn't developed commercially on its own and requires almost total government subsidy should tell you that its not ready for prime time. To think that someone would be wasting tax dollars on educating people to work in an almost non-existing industry is laughable.

One would be hard pressed to even name one industry that is a success that had to have the involvement of government even remotely similar to the support given to wind and solar power. Look at the automobile industry, or the aviation industry, did they need supported by government. No. Why? Because once they became feasible their worth propelled them.

Towntalk

Wrong Dan. YSU is developing Green Job training programs.

Dan Moadus

I read in today's Vindicator that Tim Ryan got $4 million dollars for the area to retrain unemployed workers in "green technololgy" skills. Problem is though, there are no such training programs. If this wasn't so sad, it would be funny. $4 million dollars for non existent schooling for non existent jobs.

Dan Moadus

Ytownshrimp asks what are my qualifications.
I am a lifelong student of government. It interests me like automobile engines did when I was younger. I'm a mechanic at heart, and simply can not stand things that do not run well. Whether it's a miss in an engine or government that isn't running well. I am basically a problem solver.

I have been involved in local politics for over 25 years, and have always fought for the taxpayers. I know every politician says that, but it isn't true. Most of them do what I call "going native" once they get in office. They soon learn how powerful a voting block the city workers and their families are and quickly learn that if they want to stay in office they better understand that their primary role is to see that a year never goes by that the workers don't get a raise.

I have served eight years as a Girard City Councilman and never voted to raise a tax or a fee. I have also never voted for raises for the workers when a deficit existed in the City's budget, and I have paid a big political price for it. Every election the City workers have worked hard to keep me out of office. At times they would even have rally's before the election to get out the vote against me, and celebrations afterword.

Here is something important you should know. Whether it is Local, State, or Federal, government departments and their employees come first with almost every polititcian. You are second, and are viewed as nothing more than a "meal ticket". Look at any City in the area, and every politician that has been in office for many years, and you can safely assume they put your needs second. If they didn't they wouldn't be in office. Politicians like me sneak through occasionally; usually when the voting public wakes up and gets angry, but not often.

I am also better suited than my opponent to understand the struggles of everyday folks. My opponent has never had a job, unless you call being a Congressman a job. He has never served in the Armed Forces, and he has never had a business. I have have had over twenty five jobs and belonged to 3 unions. I lost my job leading a wildcat strike fighing for workers rights at Lordstown. I have fought in a war and been shot. I own a business and know what it's like to struggle to meet a payroll.

I am also the person who rid the City of Girard of it's traffic cameras. Though I did not get a ticket, I sued the City in Common Pleas Court and prevailed. That decision is upheld in Trumbull County today.

I am a fighter. I fight for individual freedom, fiscal responsibility and limited government. I am not intimidated by anyone, and I don't stick my finger in the air to test the political winds. Sometimes when people ask me to sum up who Dan Moadus is in one sentence, I tell them, "I'm like Jim Trafficant without the record."

Youngstownshrimp

Thanks Dan, at least you tried.  After college, I worked for five years in the Submarine Design Office and my brother is about to retire as a senior Boeing engineer, I know the defence industry.  It is not an economic indicator and hardly a continuous industry that we can depend on.  You should not believe everything you read.  You also did not answer question number 3.

Dan Moadus

For a quick but encouraging overview of U.S. manufacturing check out this article: http://tinyurl.com/c3stgz  Dramatic changes have occurred in this sector, but you will be surprised where it is leading us. It also answers your question about what we are making.

Youngstownshrimp

Dennis,  Thank you for your response.  You are a little vague on your answers tho, can you please clarify your following statements:
1.  In 2007, what did we manufacture and export more than any other year in our history?
2.  Again, the 25% of production in the world that we provide, can you elaborate?
3.  Since you want to be our leader, what is your track record and qualifications?

Your discription of what a congressman does, seems that attending to the health of our area includes identifying industry and creating an environment that is friendly to businesses.  You did not answer my questions about specific businesses.  Thanks in advance for you specific answers.