News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

An Open Letter to Congress: Now is the time to pass a strong clean energy and cl

Started by irishbobcat, July 07, 2009, 07:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Dennis:

I'm slightly older than Sarge, and I do not see this country meeting your standards in my lifetime ... I'll be 70 at the end of this month.

Tell us ... plastics are made from oil. We can recycle plastic, but still it is a finite product that looses its qualities with each melting.

Our highways use petroleum in their construction. Concrete alone can not stand up to the heavy traffic they get.

Many of the cloths we wear are made from petroleum byproducts.

Oil is used by the machinery used to produce vertually everything we use.

So we do away with oil or pay huge sums under Cap-In-Trade with the money going to Wall Street brokers.

The price of food, clothing and shelter skyrockets while the big boys get richer, and we get poorer.

I thought you were opposed to the super rich.

For the first time, America and the other seven richest economies agreed to the goal of keeping the world's average temperature from rising more than 2C (3.6F).
They also agreed to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 80 per cent by 2050 as they strove for a worldwide deal at Copenhagen in December.

It remains only a target, however, and it is far from clear that it will be met, especially as China, India and other rapidly industrialising nations generate and consume more energy from coal and other sources.

"We have agreed for the first time that average global temperatures must rise by no more than 2C. We have agreed as G8 that we want to cut our emissions by 80 per cent by 2050 and we believe this will allow the world to reduce its emissions by 50 per cent."

"Cap and trade" legislation - also known as House Resolution 2454 - is intended to reduce carbon emissions from coal-fired power plants over the next 40 years. It establishes a program that allows pollution permits to be bought and sold.

sfc_oliver

I don't know. And there isn't a politician in the country that knows either. Nor a Scientist. None of us knows what the future holds.

I doubt we will replace all fossil fuels ever. I do know that there are other technologies besides wind and solar that need looked at.

And I know for certain that this congress and administration only care about doing everything as fast as they can regardless of the consequences.

Common sense tells us that they need to slow down and cut some of this wild spending of cash we do not have.

I should have had 4 new windows installed this month. I have to wait on the senate to see what they are going to do on this cap and tax. The first time ever that the Federal government interfered with the inside of my house. And yes I believe it will raise the cost of everything.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

irishbobcat

Sarge, I asked you a simple question....will science produce renewable energies as a replacement of fossil fuels in your lifetime?

A simple yes or no will do, Sarge....

sfc_oliver

He'll never understand the concept Towntalk. Sometimes i wonder why I bother. Then I remember that if someone doesn't speak with common sense then people will never hear it.

SCIENCE NOT POLITICS.

It's not a difficult concept.

Towntalk

When was the last time that a politician found a life saving drug?

When was the last time that a politician put a man on the moon?

When was the last time that a politician discovered a life saving medical divice?

When was the last time that a politician invented a labo saving divice?

Q. How many politicians does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. One to change the bulb and 432 to set the rules for the job.

irishbobcat

Sarge, will we see this in your lifetime or will you be six feet under?

sfc_oliver

Once again: We need to slow down and permit science and not politics find the best solution to replacing fossil fuels.

And until each human is perfect the world will remain as is. As imperfect as we are.

irishbobcat

sfc_oliver

Yet even if you could make the argument that renewable energy and less dependence on foreign oil would make us more secure, you refuse to allow us to drill for our own oil while alternate energy sources are being developed and tested.

And as I stated before one such resource is being held up by the very people that want clean energy because some cables might alter the ocean floor. Give me a break.

You just cannot have everything. The world will never be that perfect.

irishbobcat

In these challenging times, we are all painfully aware of the threats to both our national and our economic security. Our foreign affairs and national defense policies as well as our economy are linked to our energy policy through our dependence on foreign oil. There is no doubt we Americans rely on foreign oil, and we are sending billions of dollars overseas to pay for oil, leaving us vulnerable to unstable or hostile regimes. Our oil expenditures in 2008 broke down to equal: $1.2 billion every day; $50 million every hour; $837,000 every minute; and $14,000 every second.
It's more than just oil that threatens our national security. Other weaknesses in our nation's energy systems pose great security and financial risks. Power outages and power quality issues cost the United States an estimated $119 billion to $188 billion every year and our fragile electricity grid puts our military operations and bases at risk. But there is a way to keep more of our money at home while simultaneously strengthening our national security and our economy.
Transitioning to a clean energy economy would allow us to free ourselves from our dependence on foreign oil. Clean energy policies will help us make this transition and start generating our power from renewable sources here at home, instead of relying on sources of energy that require our presence in perilous parts of the world. An improved electricity grid will help save Americans money while providing a more secure, reliable electricity system. What's more, relying on clean, renewable sources of energy instead of dirty carbon-based fuels will help reduce greenhouse gas emissions and solve the climate crisis. The impacts of climate change, security experts warn, could further destabilize politically vulnerable regions around the world.
By reducing our reliance on foreign oil, not only will we reduce our exposure to energy conflicts overseas, we will also keep our energy dollars here in the U.S., where we can invest in American businesses and jobs and strengthen our economy. If we spend our energy dollars here at home, we can expand our clean energy production capabilities and increase our use of renewable energy and energy saving technologies. Relying on renewable energy sources would create millions of jobs, many in our most struggling industries – and these are jobs that can't be outsourced. Clean energy policies will save us money, too. Energy saving technologies could save households approximately $750 by 2020 and $3,900 by 2030, according to the American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy.
And, increased clean energy investments will help generate jobs in Ohio. According to a recent study by the Center for American Progress, investing in Ohio's clean energy economy could create thousands of jobs.

sfc_oliver

I'm sorry but I fail to see the connection between your clean energy and my strong military.

How does your energy bill that the Congress still hasn't read equal improved national security?

irishbobcat

The United States is already a world leader in so many areas. Isn't it time we took a leading role in developing a global clean energy economy? In this moment, we have the opportunity to improve our national security and strengthen our domestic economy by supporting and investing in clean energy. As we celebrate the independence of our nation this week, let's protect America and declare our energy independence as well. It's time for a change. It's time to repower America.

sfc_oliver

I personally have already emailed and written (snail-mail) to both of our senators to ask them to vote against this bill. Hopefully we can stop the insanity.

Towntalk

In looking over the list, I noted that there are a number of "Big Business" corporations on the list of supporters:

Johnson Controls
The Dow Chemical Company
Whirlpool Corporation
Siemens

Interesting that Dow is one of them. Can anyone say Napom and Agent Orange?

irishbobcat

An Open Letter to Congress: Now is the time to pass a strong clean energy and climate bill

Energy Efficiency Coalition

Dear Members of Congress:

As businesses and organizations that employ thousands of workers in the clean energy industry, we urge Congress to move and improve the American Clean Energy and Security Act.

A strong clean energy policy that promotes innovation and deployment in energy efficiency and renewable energy can help reduce energy costs for consumers and provide the basis for sustained economic growth.

1. Energy efficiency generates $3 in economic benefits for each $1 invested, producing jobs in every Congressional district in America;

2. Renewable energy will stabilize energy costs as we reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and use sources of energy that have no or low cost such as wind, sun, water, geo-thermal and biomass;

3. Taken together, energy efficiency and renewable energy can reduce the costs of achieving our climate goals by lowering overall energy demand and the costs of generating power--saving Americans money on their utility bills while cutting greenhouse gas emissions.

Without a change in direction, the United States economy will continue to lose ground to other countries that are more aggressively investing in clean energy technology. Strong clean energy legislation can provide that framework and restore American leadership in job creation and innovation. We urge every Member of Congress to vote in favor of the American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009 now!

Signed:

@ Ventures, Advanced Electron Beams, Inc., Advanced Technology Ventures, Aegis Energy Systems, Affordable Comfort, Inc., Alliance to Save Energy, Alteris Renewables, American Biomass Corporation, American Council for an Energy- Efficient Economy, Aspen Aerogels, Inc., Beacon Power Corporation, Bevilacqua-Knight, Inc., Birch Tree Capital, BlueWave Strategies LLC, Building Performance Institute, Inc., Business Council for Sustainable Energy, California Building Performance, Cambridge Consultants, Cambridge Energy Alliance, Canaccord Adams, Center for Ecological Technology, Chrisner Group, Cimetrics, Inc., Citizens for Pennsylvania's Future, Clean Energy Venture Group, Co-Energy America, Community Environmental Center, Conservation Connection Consulting, Conservation Services Group, Conservation Solutions Corporation, Contractors Association, Dundon Inuslation, Inc., EAM Associates, Inc., Ecocentric Energy Solutions, Efficiency First, Electric & Gas Industries Association, Energy Federation, Inc., Energy Service Companies, EnergyClimate Solutions, EnerNOC, Inc., Environment Northeast, Environmental & Energy Study Institute, Environmental Advocates of NY, Environmental Entrepreneur Federation of American Scientists, Fibrowatt, LLC, Future of Energy, General Catalyst Partners, General Compression, GMZ Energy, Great Point Energy, GreenHomes America, International District Energy Association, Interval Data Systems, Inc., James M. Lee, President and CEO of Johnson Controls, MaGrann Associaties, Michigan Environmental Council, Mobern Lighting Company, National Association of Energy Service Companies, National Grid, National Hydropower Association, National Trust for Historic Preservation, National Wildlife Federation, Natural Resources Defense Council, New England Clean Energy Council, Nexamp, Nicole Lederer, Co-Founder, Northeast Energy Efficiency Coalition, Northeast Energy Efficiency Partnership, Northwest Energy Coalition, Optimal Energy, Inc., Pace Energy and Climate Center, Pellet Sales.com, LLC, Polyisocyanurate Insulation Manufacturers Association, Portland Energy Conservation, Inc., Project by Alex Cheimets, Protonex, Recycled Energy Development, Redschift Systems, RESNET, Resolute Marine Energy, Inc., Saco River Hyrdo, SCC America, Scheider Electric, Seaman Paper Company of Massachusetts, Inc., Senergy Software Solutions, Inc., Serious Materials, Siemens, Soloectric Power, Southeast Energy Efficiency Alliance, Southwest Energy Efficiency Project, SunPower Builders, Sustainable Places, Sustainable Spaces, Tennessee Interfaith Power & Light, The Dow Chemical Company, The Massachusetts Super Insulation Project by Alex Cheimets, The Stella Group, Ltd, The Waterline Companies, Thermonexus, Union of Concerned Scientists, US Clean Heat & Power Association, Vermont Energy Investment Corporation, Warren Energy Engineering, LLC, Whirlpool Corporation, Wilson TurboPower, Inc., Wyoming Energy Council, Ze-gen, Inc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's pass this bill in the Senate and move America into the 21st Century!

Dennis Spisak

Mahoning Valley Green Party

Ohio Green Party

www.ohiogreens.org

www.votespisak.org/thinkgreen/