News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Green Party: Is America ready for a really Opposition Party

Started by irishbobcat, June 27, 2009, 03:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

And get your facts streight Dennis:

World War I ... Democratic president

World War II ... Democratic presidents

Korea ... Democratic president

Viet Nam ... Democratic presidents

Even the current Democratic president is carrying on the war in Afghanistan.

Roosevelt and Truman were hardly conservatives.

JFK and LBJ were hardly conservatives

Wilson was certainly not a conservative being one of the founders of the League of Nations.

irishbobcat

And I have given up on you too.......the feelings are mutual.......

sfc_oliver

I give up, Dennis you simply refuse to listen to facts. I would give you a dozen or more links if It would do any good, but you have proven yourself already.

And by the way my Legion post does not operate a Bar. And I do not drink.

Read your own link sometime....
The keys to the failure of Tet are not difficult to discern. Hanoi had underestimated the strategic mobility of the allied forces, which allowed them to redeploy at will to threatened areas; their battle plan was too complex and difficult to coordinate, which was amply demonstrated by the 30 January attacks; their violation of the principle of mass, attacking everywhere instead of concentrating their forces on a few specific targets, allowed their forces to be defeated piecemeal; the launching of massed attacks headlong into the teeth of vastly superior firepower; and last, but not least, the incorrect assumptions upon which the entire campaign was based.[129] According to General Tran Van Tra: "We did not correctly evaluate the specific balance of forces between ourselves and the enemy, did not fully realize that the enemy still had considerable capabilities, and that our capabilities were limited, and set requirements that were beyond our actual strength.[1
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

irishbobcat

The Fact is Sarge we could not win the Vietnam War. You may win it everytime you have a beer at the American Legion building.....but the American Generals knew it was unwinnable......

Watch some PBS documentaries on the war and the Johnson administration...or is PBS too LEFTIST for you.....????

Here's info on the Tet Offense...you were right on your points, and I was right on my points.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tet_Offensive

sfc_oliver

BS, do some real research and learn the facts. Or would you rather i took you by the hand. My bet is even Wikipedia knows the facts about TET. somewhere around 45,000 casualties for North Vietnam. Please don't get stupid here.

irishbobcat

I did not spit on Americans Troops coming home from Vietnam. I lost a cousin in the Vietnam War.....so don't go making accusations, towntalk...that you  NO BASIS TO MAKE...FOR A DEMOCRAT, YOU SURE ACT LIKE A CONSERVATIVE WARHAWK...

American Generals knew the war in Vietnam could not be won, they told Johnson in March of 1968, that is one of the reasons he decided not to run for re-election...

The Viet Cong knew we could not beat them...they would just run in the jungles and wait us out....which they did.....it  was an unwinnable war.....

sfc_oliver

Quote from: irishbobcat on June 27, 2009, 07:28:16 PM
The Tet Offensive really wasn't a US victory.....in fact, the offensive was the turning point for the American public that we could NEVER win in Vietnam.....
The TET offensive was a military victory for the USA we just didn't know it. The North Vietnamese were ready to surrender after that when they saw the turn in the American public and decided to hold on. This has been attested to by many Vietnamese officers. They knew they could not win militarily.

Towntalk

Tell me Dennis, were you among those who spit on troops coming home from Viet Nam and screeming "Baby Killer" at them along with Jane Fonda?

irishbobcat

The Tet Offensive really wasn't a US victory.....in fact, the offensive was the turning point for the American public that we could NEVER win in Vietnam.....

sfc_oliver

Military wise, Vietnam was a success. The USA never lost a major battle. It was 2 years after the American troops were withdrawn that the Democrat congress cut funding to South Vietnam and the North over ran them.

But you do not pass a major bill without reading it and knowing what it is that you are voting for. that my good man is plain stupidity. It is also where the term Sheeple comes from.

irishbobcat

I am celebrating it as a step in the right direction for this country.....but it can and should be improved.....

like you said sarge, take our time......baby steps....get the bill in and fix it eventually to where it should be........

I am sure not all army invasions went as well as first expected, and you regrouped and came up with another plan.....or did all of our army plans succeed like they did in Vietnam?

sfc_oliver

Do I see this right? The green party is against the Cap and Trade? Hmm? I could swear just yesterday that you were celebrating it's passage in the House.

But then I'm just an old Sergeant I must not understand right.

irishbobcat

Green Party, preparing for 2009 national meeting, ask: Is America ready for a real opposition party now?
GREEN PARTY OF THE UNITED STATES
http://www.gp.org

For Immediate Release:
Friday, June 26, 2009

Contacts:
Scott McLarty, Media Coordinator, 202-518-5624, cell 202-904-7614, mclarty@greens.org
Starlene Rankin, Media Coordinator, 916-995-3805, starlene@gp.org

Citing Democrats' votes for war funding and retreats on health care, Greens call Dems "the new wing of the GOP" and invite Americans to "come home to the Green Party"

Green Party Annual National meeting: Durham, North Carolina, July 23-26 http://www.gp.org/2009-ANM

Green Party Speakers Bureau: Green leaders available to speak on various issues http://www.gp.org/speakers

WASHINGTON, DC -- Green Party leaders, preparing for the party's 2009 Annual National Meeting, said that America is in desperate need of a real opposition party, as Democrats maintain Republican positions on foreign policy, health care, the environment, and other big issues.

The Green Party's national meeting will take place in Durham, North Carolina, from July 23 to July 26 (http://www.gp.org/2009-ANM http://ncgreenparty.org/2009-ANM.html). Reporters are invited to cover the meeting (http://www.gp.org/forms/media).

"Democratic leaders made their party a wing of the Republican Party in June," said Wayne Turner, North Carolina Green Party co-chair (http://www.ncgreenparty.org). "Any progressive positions taken by the Obama administration are getting nullified by Blue Dog Democrats and other Republican allies. The Democratic leadership and mainstream have adopted values we associate with the GOP, while Republicans are taking ever more extreme positions and want to see President Obama fail at whatever he sets out to accomplish. That leaves two parties representing corporate lobbies and the Green Party representing the interests and ideals of most Americans. 'Across the aisle' used to mean Democrats and Republicans. Now both of them are across the aisle from the rest of America."

"With President Obama expanding the war in Afghanistan and Democrats overwhelmingly voting for war funding, the Democratic Party can no longer pretend to be the antiwar party. We invite voters who want peace to come home to the Green Party," said Mr. Turner.

Greens cited widespread popular opposition to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, support for a national health care plan that covers all Americans (http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE55K00220090621), and resentment over the Wall Street bailout as evidence that the Green Party is closer to the political sentiments of a majority of Americans.

Green leaders pointed to several decisions and actions in June that betray the Obama promise of change:

256 Democrats in the House voted for the war funding bill, with only 30 Democratic nays. President Obama is also expanding US troops in Afghanistan, with air attacks inside Pakistani borders, and has maintained the Bush-Cheney 'preemption' doctrine in threatening Iran. (Democratic leaders endorsed both wars from the beginning and continued voting for President Bush's war funding requests after they took control of Congress in 2006.)

The Democratic leadership's health care reform plans not only reject Single-Payer, but will also omit the public health care option because it's "unfair to insurance companies" -- as if insurance industry profits were more urgent the health needs of millions of Americans.

In capitulation to industry interests, the Waxman-Markey climate bill ("American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009") would place a weak cap on greenhouse gas emissions (reductions of only 1-4% below 1990 levels by 2020), create a $2 trillion carbon-trading market with dangerously unregulated derivatives and minimal effect on emissions, give away 85% of the carbon permits to corporations over the next decade, offer a $150 billion handout to coal companies, and impose a severely inadequate 15% renewable energy standard by 2020.

President Obama approved mountaintop removal for coal, which will wreak further environmental devastation on states like West Virginia and Tennessee. The Obama Administration continues to espouse industry myths about 'clean coal.'

Despite President Obama's announcement of some limited domestic partnership benefits for gay federal employees, the Obama Justice Department has submitted a brief in support of the antigay Defense of Marriage Act, undercutting the President's claim to support equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Americans.

To this list, Greens added other Democratic betrayals and retreats: the bailout for Wall Street (the largest transfer of wealth from taxpayers to corporations in history); continued warrantless surveillance of US citizens; refusal to hold Bush officials who approved torture and lied to Congress accountable for their actions (with torture continuing at some sites, according to reports); and uninterrupted military aid for Israel despite massive human rights violations against Palestinians.

"Why won't President Obama and congessional Democrats fight for a cap on credit card interest rates and restoration of Glass-Steagal regulations to prevent financial industry abuses? The election of a few Greens to Congress would change the dynamic of American politics. Democrats and Republicans would have to compete with Green candidates, who accept neither corporate campaign contributions nor the influence of corporate lobbies," said Jody Grage, treasurer of the Green Party of the United States.

MORE INFORMATION

Green Party of the United States http://www.gp.org
202-319-7191, 866-41GREEN