News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Charlie Wilson

Started by Towntalk, March 20, 2009, 01:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Have to agree with you there Dennis.

Even the press is questioning these Congressional COLA increases at a time when this country is going belly up.

My web site has been following this crisis extensively and today is leading with the question: Is America Finished?

What right does Congress have to be outraged when they were the ones that set it in motion to begin with?

Wilson can introduce all the bills he wants, but that doesn't say that they will see the light of day in committee much less come to the floor for a vote. Personally I put little stock in the PR that he or Ryan put out. When I actually see their bill on the committee agenda then I will follow it through, and only then. Until then they are playing to the voters back home.

irishbobcat

Charlie Wilson's bill is allowing AIG officials to keep 3.9% of their bonus.....

from his website:

That is why I introduced the TARP Wage Accountability Act.

The TARP Wage Accountability Act would stop such proposals in their tracks. My bill would force companies that took 10 billion dollars or more in TARP funds to abide by the government Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) structure set for military and government employees. This year for example, that would mean that salaries for AIG employees couldn't be raised more than 3.9%.

If the COLA is good enough for our soldiers and government workers, it should be good enough for Wall Street. The intent of my bill is to stop those TARP recipients that are scheming to change their pay structure to reward themselves with double or triple their salaries. I want to make sure that taxpayer money does not go to outrageous raises - raises that are not deserved.

Sincerely,

Charlie Wilson
Member of Congress
Ohio's Sixth District

Charlie got a raise in January,so he can't outlaw others to do the same...shame on you Charlie!

Dennis Spisak
Green Party!

sfc_oliver

I have to believe it is unconstitutional to tax someone after the fact. And it's not like theres that much of a big deal when you break it down to numbers we can understand (of course I'm just an ole Sargeant) But it's like getting upset with someone you gave $100 to and they wasted $1.60.....

Am I wrong?

Not that I think these guys deserve the money. But trying to be logical and follow the constitution.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

irishbobcat

It's about time he did something in Congress besides supporting the Baard coal to liquid fuel plant in Wellsville which will be the highest pollution energy plant in the state.......wear a mask after that monster is built when you head to Mountaineer......

Towntalk

Dennis, I see that your good friend Charlie Wilson was one of the co-sponsors of the bill that slaps a 90% tax on the dudes that got huge bonuses.

Passed the House today and on its merry way to the Senate.

H.R. 1586
To impose an additional tax on bonuses received from certain TARP recipients.

Imposes an additional income tax on bonuses paid to employees or former employees of covered Troubled Assets Relief Program (TARP) recipients. Defines "covered TARP recipient" to include: (1) entities and their affiliates that received capital infusions under the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 exceeding $5 billion; and (2) the Federal National Mortgage Association (Fannie Mae) and the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac). Exempts entities that repay TARP amounts exceeding a $5 billion threshold.
Sets the rate of such tax at 90% of the lesser of: (1) the bonus amounts paid; or (2) the amount of such taxpayer's adjusted gross income exceeding $250,000 ($125,000 in the case of a married individual filing a separate return). Exempts any employee who irrevocably waives or returns a bonus payment before the close of the taxable year in which such payment is due.