News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Mayoral Discussion

Started by ForumManager, September 28, 2005, 09:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForumManager

This topic in now locked from further comment.
How's that for censorship!!!???

One time Reggie yells at Bush supporters, the next time he yells about people that vote by party. musta ignored the part that says Jay is a Bush supporter. Jumpn all ovr the place, ol man.

Reggie_McLendon

Need to edit before I send :)

Reggie Mclendon

You know this whole thing started because News and Views pointed out something that most people already knew......Hagan was looking for support from Patton we all no how things are done here in the Mahoning Valley there would have been some reward.......Myself being black said I was not offended by what he said because that what most of you think away.....I for one voted for Taft, why, Gov. Taft nevered wrote Youngstown off.....182 Million Dollars in new schools state funds for the 7 11 connector 60 million 2.5Million for the Convo Center money for federal street reopening over 300million dollars easy coming here.....Yeah we was needed for the national election but why not get paid......How many of you closet Dem. also voted for Bush....This is America you can support who you.... want....Those days of voting for who the local Democratic Party chose to run is OVER HONEY......Blacks want something for their vote........YOU should too not more of the same......I will vote for who ever I think will help Youngstown no mattter what Shade what Party, I would vote for YOU if I believed you would.......

ForumManager

Last response from me.
You don't seem to read the responses.

I don't support any one candidate over another.

I certainly wouldn't rely on a handshake and friendly smile to make my decision --- that's what politicians do best. Jay's nice looking face was noticeably present at a Bush rally. Does he support Bush's policies?  I'd like to know.

I want to know how the candidates stand on issues and if they are honest.  I want to feel they are in this race for the good of the entire city.

Do people that live outside of Youngstown put signs in their yards for the Youngstown mayoral primary? I'm not sure about that -- but if I lived outside of the city I wouldn't have posted a sign for the mayor's race.

Every post has boiled down to what you think of me. I am shallow, a Hagan lover, a censor, a good old boy, a suburbanite outsider, (no offense to folks that live in the suburbs - just making a point) If I was a censor I would delete all the comments you've made.  

Are you sure you are not "news and views" incognito?

This thread was started to give our users a place to ask the mayoral candidates questions.  This entire conversation has probably deterred that possibility.

I am sorry that I was drawn into explaining my remark about how the post was racist and then what I've heard voiced about our candidates.  Not because I regret anything I've written but because it is not in keeeping with the original point of this thread.

There is one thing that I do know about Jay Williams that is a matter of public record.  He has contributed to the OHIOANS FOR KEN BLACKWELL the GOP candidate for governer and who also was co-chairman of the state campaign for Bush. Jay attended the Bush rally here in town.  So since you have now  bashed the people that voted for Bush ...

you can go to this link to verify the contribution
http://serform.sos.state.oh.us/pls/porthope/DEV.SAP_RPT_CAND_CONT.show_parms
just type in the name and click the button
Williams
Jay

Jay is now an independant and he can support whomever he chooses to support. Was he a democrat last year?

'nough said.

Reggie Mclendon

I really don't know anything about Jay only seen him one time and then just shook his hand.......He was talking to people I was with about Polictics.....It was refreshing you could tell he really cared.....This is not about race it's about the future the city I love......The Mahoning Valley is one of the most RACIST areas in the country north or south.........When I heard about 2010 I said to myself we got a chance people have finally figured out we all in this fight.........There are alot of good people of all races in Ytown for so long I did not believe so.......So you can make all your little cute responces of useless facts to cloud what I'm saying to push Hagan your not here for  Youngstown getting better you want more of the same that kind of thinking got us George W Bush for 4 more years........As long as where you live REMAINS the same you could careless that the PEOPLE of the INNER needs the City to come together not APART.......DO you even live in YTOWN if not you should stop your REMARKS about Jay......This FORUM is A JOKE
QuoteI have questions regarding Jay Williams AND the other candidates. Similar issues regarding the other candidates would have been listed as well if I had seen any posts.The  comments I listed have been made on this and other boards. No digging necessary.

The property tax issue is a matter of public record.  The loan issue was brought up on another board and appears to be true.  

As I said, I support no one over another.  If these allegations prove true, I will not vote for him and will choose between the others. Has anyone asked Jay directly about these issues?

ForumManager

What is wrong with this picture? I have only asked that our participants to be civil.  

Yes I did bring up "race" The comment made was racist IN MY OPINION. Makes African Americans look racist and makes Hagan  sound like he only cters to powerful African Americans to get a vote from their race.-   I explained   why I thought it was a racist remark. I only explained becasue you didn't seem to "GET" why I thought the remark was racist.   You are the person that makes a point of saying that  you are African American.

QuoteI'm African American born and raised on the Northside we don't need someone in the Mayor office that have no Idea what the People of Youngstown are about,meaning all the people not just the people of the Cornerburg area.......
{/quote]

I really don't care if you are of Hispanic, Croatian, Indian, Pakistani, Arab, or Polynesian decent. He insulted your race. I let him know I didn't appreciate it.  I could have just as easily clicked "remove,"

I have also stated that questions have been brought up. I will be happy to list questions in regard to the other candidates... GOT ANY???

I don't care what color Jay is.  I have friends of many different ethnic backgrounds.

Perhaps you should read what is actually written instead of trying to read things INTO what is written.

Can you enlighten me on the "facts of the loan" ?
You seem to know.

Reggie Mclendon

Not one time did I bring up Race you did, your no better than what you say about NEWS AND VIEWS......Did I hit a NERVE.....PATHIC
QuoteKeep up the good work way to SMEAR his name without knowing all the facts about the loan......Like the old folks say you are showing your TRUE COLORS now.

Reggie Mclendon

Keep up the good work way to SMEAR his name without knowing all the facts about the loan......Like the old folks say you are showing your TRUE COLORS now.
QuoteCandidates have been invited to participate in this dicussion forum.  

The invitation has been sent to those with email contact information.

They are Hagan, Williams and Lorenzi.

If anyone knows of email contact information for additional candidates, please contact the forum manager.

I will keep you posted as to their repsonse about participating in discussion.

ForumManager

I have questions regarding Jay Williams AND the other candidates. Similar issues regarding the other candidates would have been listed as well if I had seen any posts.The  comments I listed have been made on this and other boards. No digging necessary.

The property tax issue is a matter of public record.  The loan issue was brought up on another board and appears to be true.  

As I said, I support no one over another.  If these allegations prove true, I will not vote for him and will choose between the others. Has anyone asked Jay directly about these issues?

Reggie Mclendon

This is my last comment you seems to have no problem dishing out all the dirt you can find on Jay Williams :-/
QuoteCandidates have been invited to participate in this dicussion forum.  

The invitation has been sent to those with email contact information.

They are Hagan, Williams and Lorenzi.

If anyone knows of email contact information for additional candidates, please contact the forum manager.

I will keep you posted as to their repsonse about participating in discussion.

ForumManager

The person I supported last spring  did not win the primary.  I had a sign in front of my house.  I had a banner on my directory website for nearly a year prior to the primary.  I  removed the banner close to the election and I told the candidate that my opinions can lead toward the extreme.  I did not want people to think that this  was also his platfrom. He unnderstood.  At the time I was planning to protest the Iraqi situation openly with other ads and links. I did not go with my inclination to openly protest as I did not want  my opinion to deter ANYONE'S participation on this board and website.

It was Swierz, not Hagan, that I supported.

Long time members can back me up on my avoidance of expressing my opinions in regard to political matters.

The only times I have threatened censorship were when there were swear words and name calling on this board and it has been only in regard to ONE MEMBER.  Another time I removed a post that was infalmmatory regarding a site outside of this network by a non member.

I show no support for one candidate over another.  You are the one that claims Hagan is an outsider.  I brought up the fact that he pays taxes because it has been brought to the attention of the community that Jay and all the other public servants on his street have an abatement.  

I really don't care if you pay taxes.  You are not running... OR MAYBE YOU ARE!??

In regard to why I feel that newsandveiws' comment was racist --
It lumps an entire race into to this ---  

"I will only  vote for a candidate  because a member of my race supports this candidate."  

He doesn't give the African American community much credit for being intelligent, does he?  He is bascially saying that they are racist and can't see beyond their own color.
------------------------
I support no candidate over another.  I have questions about them all.  That is why this thread was started-- to get answers to questions that we all have.
------------------------
In the matter of the candidates that I know something about -- The following is what I've heard expressed by the members of our community. This includes both positive and negative remarks. These are not my own opinions, just what I have heard.

Hagan -  
:D Knows the political machine, this can benefit our community. Has worked toward community improvement at the state level in the past.
??? Career politican just looking for another job, a bit removed from the community with his state obligations.

--
Maggie -
:D has a heart of gold, a little inexperienced in political matters, but maybe this is what we need. Is determined to make things better in this community
??? Does she have enough experience? She can see what is wrong but can she fix it?

---

Jay -  
:D was involved in several projects that plan to and hopefully will improve the community.
??? He ignored collection of a 96,000 dollar loan to his father made by the community development orgnization he was in charge of. Lives on a high end, nearly suburban street that has a tax abatement slated for COMMERCIAL improvements to our city.
--

I've heard nothing about the other candidates except that they either did well at the forums or did poorly.
I haven't been able to attend the forums.  I wish I could.

As you can see - I support no one candidate  over the other candidates.  I have questions.

If you like to bash people regarding their political views you can go to
http://dems17.org
Plenty of bashing over there.

This forum is for people to bring legitmate concerns and questions about the candidates and their platforms.
Please feel free do so.

The candidates are:
Gilmartin, Hagan, Korchnak, Lorenzi, Teague, Williams, and  maybe Kish?
---
My opinion-
When people spend all their time criticizing each other for supporting different candidates, they lose sight of the real reason for debate.  The reason for debate is to bring someone over to your way of thinking with logical arguments for your opinions.  That cannot be accomplished by 'name calling' - it only makes the other person defensive and more adamant about keeping their stance.

Thank you for posting to this forum,
Forum Manager

Reggie Mclendon

I pay PROPERTY TAX too what that got to do with it....Hagan is an Outsiders that's just here for the DOLLAR....Why don't you just say this is a Pro Hagan Forum......I see you want nothing to change ........Hagan is not the best Choice for Youngstown .....You are as SHALLOW as Your FORUM CENSOR THAT............
QuoteAnd I will note that Hagan lives in Youngstown and PAYS PROPERTY TAXES.  I still don't know what teh whole 15 year 100%  tax abatement on Jays' street is all about.

ForumManager

And I will note that Hagan lives in Youngstown and PAYS PROPERTY TAXES.  I still don't know what teh whole 15 year 100%  tax abatement on Jays' street is all about.

ForumManager

QuoteThis forum is not a true forum if you hear only what you want to hear......I think News and Views is good for this forum at lease he not just giving the same lip service that comes from you ........What is this a good old boy club......

Apparently you haven't read the posts where he calls people names if they disagree with him. Why don't you join and view all of his posts in his profile, before you jump on my commentary?    Interesting reading -  especially his post about how he wants to censor/moderate people that don't agree with him on his own forum.  We only censor swearing here.  He wants to censor free speech.

He has been warned about the name calling more then once and he called someone a name just this week.  

My response was to keept him from trying to scare the candidates away from discussing the issues which is what seems to be the plan.

This a NOT a good old boys club. I happen to be a woman.

Please read his posts before you comment again on my reply.