News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Jay Williams Run For Mayor

Started by jay, November 10, 2008, 09:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Defend Youngstown

I believe Jay, by law, now has to run as a Democrat being that he voted in the Democratic primary (in addition to declaring publicly declaring his "life long Democrat" status which could be interpreted by the state board of elections as "Democrat" if it came down to it). He ran as an Independent for Mayor to avoid a crowded political primary and also received Independent and Republican support as a result of the move. It was political strategy and it worked. However, he was the last elected official to be able do this - the state changed the law shortly thereafter. If you'll remember, this became a debate in the latest City Council elections as several registered Democrats (or folks who had previously voted in a Democratic primary) who were running as Independents for the same reason Jay did were removed from the ballot. Law suits were filed by some but the state upheld its decision. The decision is still in effect.

ytowner

Quote from: jay on November 11, 2008, 01:41:18 PM
Then why didn't he run for mayor as a democrat in the first place?
You got to ask him. He said he is a life long Democrat. Hey I am happy he is mayor over you know who, but I would rather see someone else as mayor that won't run up a deficit like Jay has.

jay

Then why didn't he run for mayor as a democrat in the first place?

ytowner

Quote from: jay on November 11, 2008, 09:01:11 AM
If he runs as an independent, he will only have to campaign for the fall election.  If he runs as a democrat, he would have to run in the primary against other democrats and then run again in the fall.

He is a Democrat. He admits to it and should run as one. His support of Obama is enough to call him a Democrat, especially for his assault on Palin. Don't get me started on that ..

jay

If he runs as an independent, he will only have to campaign for the fall election.  If he runs as a democrat, he would have to run in the primary against other democrats and then run again in the fall.

ytowner

He is a Democrat. Yes he should run as one.

jay

Jay Williams will run for mayor again.

Should he run as a democrat this time?  If so, why?

Should he run again as an independent?  If so, why?