News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Mahoning Valley for Obama

Started by rusty river, November 05, 2008, 01:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowner

Quote from: rusty river on November 10, 2008, 03:23:19 PM
You may have justification for making that statement. But I, as a democrat, am completely justified in stating that the republicans also do nothing. The local republicans didn't even provide candidates for the vast majority of local positions this election. You've got to show up to the field before you can play the game. Is it laziness? Is it apathy? Why would anyone in this area even consider a republican candidate when the party has clearly made it known for decades that the Mahoning Valley is not worth their time and energy? I tend to side with the democrats on the majority of issues, but I also think that people have a responsibility to keep tabs on those in power and hold them in check. Why have republicans failed to do this in our area??

Read up on Judge Krichbaum and Judge Sweeney. Both Republicans that won the other day.

Republicans did do fairly well by local standards in these 2 local races.
Belinky beat Hunter 55-45.
Gerberry beat McCarthy 60-40.

Rusty River. I am not going to lie, the local leadership of the party has been lackluster, but understand the party registration locally is around 70-30% for the Democrats. It is not easy to raise the $$$ to get your name out there and there are far too many people that vote down party lines.

I am a Republican, but 70% of my ballot is cast for Democrats. I agree, until the Local GOP finds some quality candidates, like they did with Hunter and McCarthy, they are in for some trouble.

BUT The Republicans are innocent when it comes to local politics. Facts are facts, the Democrats have run this area for 50 years and their record shows their job has been dismal at best. Tens of thousands of jobs lost with higher taxes and higher spending. This area was doing fairly well when it was 50/50 split through the 50s-60s, but since then the D's have been in charge and have failed this area.

rusty river

Quote from: YtownNewsandViews on November 07, 2008, 10:41:19 PM
You folks continue to defend the Democrats, but they do nothing.

You may have justification for making that statement. But I, as a democrat, am completely justified in stating that the republicans also do nothing. The local republicans didn't even provide candidates for the vast majority of local positions this election. You've got to show up to the field before you can play the game. Is it laziness? Is it apathy? Why would anyone in this area even consider a republican candidate when the party has clearly made it known for decades that the Mahoning Valley is not worth their time and energy? I tend to side with the democrats on the majority of issues, but I also think that people have a responsibility to keep tabs on those in power and hold them in check. Why have republicans failed to do this in our area??

ytowner

You folks continue to defend the Democrats, but they do nothing. If I have to lead the charge over the next decade for the Republican Revolution in the Valley, I'll be more than happy to do it.

You folks all know I love this community, it's just a matter of running this community with fiscal responsibility.

sfc_oliver

It makes me ask why? I was gone in the military for many years. When I returned I asked my father what went wrong in Youngstown. Then I found out that the Democratic party has been in charge most of the time I was gone.

What have they done here that is so great?
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

rusty river

The Mahoning Valley (Trumbull, Mahoning, Columbiana Counties) overwhelmingly went to Barack Obama.

Obama - 160,000 - 60%
McCain - 108,500 - 40%

Were there ever any doubts?

About 30,000 Youngstown residents cast ballots. Lets assume every single one had voted for Obama. Taking those votes out of the equation still results in a solid victory. What does this say about the valley's political landscape as a whole?