News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

It’s Election Day! For New Jobs, Vote For Dennis Spisak For Congress!

Started by irishbobcat, November 04, 2008, 05:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishbobcat

It's Election Day! For New Jobs, Vote For Dennis Spisak For Congress!

Struthers, OH
Office Sought:
U.S. Congress-6th District
Offices previously held:
Struthers City Board of Education 2006-present
Dennis's reasons for seeking office:
I am running for Congress because I believe we must send a representative to Washington who will address the issues facing regular citizens, not lobbyists or corporation PACs. My campaign will focus on the issues that Ohioans care about: affordable health care, economic fairness, quality public education, and bringing renewable energy manufacturing jobs to the valley. I am not afraid to call for Health Care for All Ohioans, economic justice, and nothing less than a renewal of America's sense of community and promise of equal opportunity for all citizens.
Dennis's qualifications:
As a Board of Education member, I was able to help take the district out of state fiscal control and debt and return the system to financial health in 2 years with the help of my fellow board members. Also as a Struthers Board of Education member, I worked with the Save our Stadium Committee and the Board of Education to tear down and rebuild the football stadium without using additional taxpayer money. As principal of Southern Local High School in Columbiana County, my school was named a "School of Promise" by the Ohio Department of Education for 2003/2004 school year. I also received a State Improvement Incentive Award for $50,000 for an 83% improvement on state proficiency tests.
Where Dennis stands on the issues:
1. Bringing green renewable solar and wind energy manufacturing jobs and companies to the 6th district. The Renewable Energy Policy Project's latest report, Component Manufacturing: Ohio's Future in the Renewable Energy Industry, produced for the Apollo Alliance, utilizes industrial codes from census data and a state of the art software program to identify the scope of potential job growth that would occur in Ohio. "The report states that Mahoning County is one of the top 20 counties in Ohio with the greatest potential for economic growth by building alternative energy companies and factories." said Spisak. "The report suggests that Mahoning County could gain 93 million dollars to its economy and provide for 592 jobs in the solar, wind, biomass, and geothermal industries." 2. Funding A Health Care for All Americans Act where the only 4 no's you will hear are: no co-payments, no deductables, no premiums, and no one excluded. 3. Ending lobbyists and corporatation PACs control over Congress. Last year, incumbent Charlie Wilson received over $450,000 in PAC money. Mr. Wilson legislates for corporations. As a Green Party candidate, I pledge not to receive any lobbyist or PAC Monies and instead work for the average American instead of corporate greed.
Dennis's priorities if elected:
Bringing green renewable solar and wind manufacturing jobs and companies to the 6th district. My proposing tax incentives for consumer use, tax incentives for companies to relocate here, and by working with private industry to showcase what our district has to offer in the way the way of labor, resources, and transportation.

The Apollo Alliance and the clean energy, good jobs economy we are working so hard to help build represents hope made real and visible. As Apollo Chairman Phil Angelides wrote this week on our blog and in an op-ed we are circulating across the nation: "Clean energy isn't a mirage. It's the fastest growing industrial sector in the United States. It is already generating $25 billion a year in sales and revenue, is growing at 30 percent a year."
He added: "Imagine the growth in jobs, technology, equipment, suppliers, and productivity if the United States actually treated the development of clean energy as a national economic priority. And consider just as seriously the remarkable benefits to America's security, environment, economic stability, and communities that would be realized by keeping at home the nearly $400 billion that we send each year to foreign nations, many hostile to our interests, to import their oil. It's time for America to quit bailing and to start building."
As the Apollo Alliance has noted on its Web site, in our public events, in reports, and in the just completed six-state roll out of The New Apollo Program, there is no time to spare. The old economy is sinking. A new one, gradually emerging, needs to dramatically gain speed and influence.
How certain of we of that point? This certain. On September 4, a Thursday, federal Transportation Secretary Mary Peters called the heads of every state transportation department to alert them to an unusual circumstance in the history of American mobility. The Highway Trust Fund was empty. Two days later, on Saturday, the Fed announced that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were close to collapse. The very next day, Sunday, the Fed announced a rescue plan for the two largest mortgage banks in the country.
Though Congress bailed out the mortgage banks and soon after passed a bill that partially filled the trust fund, the import of what occurred was not lost on the world's credit and stock markets. It's also coming into clearer focus for the country.
What happened was that the federal financial institutions that supported highway construction and suburban home development, arguably the central drivers of America's prosperity over the last 60 years, were insolvent. America's drive through economy – reflected in $4 gasoline, falling home values, record rates of foreclosure, a Minnesota bridge collapse – is nearing its economic and fiscal limits. The Highway Trust Fund itself, dependent on gas tax revenues, emptied because Americans responded to what was unfolding around them by spending so much less time behind the wheel.
Yet just as significant as the momentous events of early September in Washington is the question that followed. What's next for America? And the answer to that is the resounding call for changing how America's economy literally runs itself, the transition the Apollo Alliance anticipated when it was founded earlier this decade and which is now one of the salient choices in this election – whether America is ready to invest significant public resources in the environmentally and economically useful switch from fossil fuel to clean energy.
As Phil Angelides writes: "Our current economic crisis has reminded us once again that financial engineering and manipulation are not substitutes for long-term investment and job creation. People need jobs and relief from high energy costs. Our dependence on oil is putting the nation's security at risk. Foreign competitors are moving rapidly to exploit the opportunities offered by clean energy. We can seize the opportunity to become the leader of a new global green economy. We're Americans. Let's do it."

ELECT DENNIS SPISAK TO CONGRESS-6TH DISTRICT TODAY!!!!!
ELECT!!!!
DENNIS SPISAK FOR CONGRESS
Green Party Candidate for Ohio's 6th District
The ONLY PROGRESSIVE CANDIDATE
Running against a Conservative Democrat and Republican!

Renewable Energy Green/Blue Collars Jobs
Single-Payer Affordable Healthcare
Solar Power/Wind Power/Geothermal Energy