News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

85% unhappy w/ economy

Started by irishbobcat, July 17, 2008, 10:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishbobcat

85 percent Unhappy with Economy

July 18,2008

According to TIME magazine this week, You would expect Americans, in a period of falling home prices, a wobbly stock market and an ongoing war, to be less than satisfied with the direction of the country. It's natural. But Americans are not simply dissatisfied. They are very unhappy. 85% of respondents in an exclusive TIME/Rockefeller Foundation poll believe that the country is on the wrong track.

It's an unprecedented downer from an optimistic nation, and depending on whom you talk to, the numbers simply get worse. Among blacks and Latinos, the dissatisfaction levels are 96% and 88%, respectively. And fewer than half of Generation Y believes that the country's best days are ahead.

The kids are not all right. Nearly half of those between ages 18 and 29 say America was a better place to live in the 1990s and will continue to decline. Some of them are living that decline already: 58% of GenYers said they have had to borrow money to make ends meet in the past year.

A majority of Americans still believe that their kids will live better lives than they did, which means the American Dream isn't exactly dead. (Although America's kids aren't so sure.) But most also believe that the social contract â€" the benefits corporations and government once guaranteed â€" is busted and needs to be rewritten to reflect the realities of economic life in a global marketplace. A majority (78%) say there is more risk to their and their family's financial future than in the past, and rely more on their friends and family for financial support. More than a fifth (22%) have had to borrow money from a friend or relative to meet their expenses.

Most intriguing, a majority of those surveyed believe in the power of Big Government to solve the biggest problems of our time. They support major government investments that create jobs â€" 82% favor public works projects â€" and they remain sympathetic to the economy's victims: 70% say more government programs should help those now struggling. It is a shocking shift in sentiment, a counterreformation of sorts in a Republican-led era that emphasizes deregulation and self-reliance.

Do Americans really want more government? The answer to that question may be provided in the November election. But history has shown that when the going gets tough, even the tough expect their Uncle Sam to get going.

As the Green Party Write-In Candidate for Congress for Ohio’s 6th District, I believe it is my job to go to Washington to help lead the fight to bring back Renewable Energy Jobs, Single-Payer Health Care for All, and Clean Fair Elections back to Ohio!

I am running for Congress because I believe we must send a representative to Washington who will address the issues facing regular citizens, not Lobbyists or Corporation PACs.

My campaign will focus on the issues that Ohioans care about: affordable health care, economic fairness, quality public education, and bringing renewable energy manufacturing jobs to the valley. I am not afraid to call for Health Care for All Ohioans, economic justice, and nothing less than a renewal of America's sense of community and promise of equal opportunity for all citizens.

Write-In Dennis Spisak for Congress-Ohio's 6th District

campaign site:
http://www.votespisak.org/electspisak.tripod.com
I, Dennis Spisak, approved of this posting.