News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Freedom of speech is evidentally not for everyone

Started by cc4, September 21, 2006, 08:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

The only way you could do that is if you wanted to sing the praises of one of the Council Members, and then they'd let you speak until the cows came home for their nightly milking.

Another way would be to flash a check made out to their campaign fund - money talks around here - the bigger the check the longer you could talk.

AllanY2525

I think that it's a stupid rule - the council should drop it and let people speak, say for up to
an hour - after each meeting.  Make 'em stay a little while longer and earn their pay by
listening to what the citizens of Youngstown have to say.

Not trying to rhyme.. it just came out that way.

:)

cc4

I was appalled while attending Wednesday's Youngstown City Council meeting when a citizen was denied his opportunity to address council at its next meeting as a result of a roll call vote (4-3).  Until seeing the agenda, I hadn't even realized that a person had to petition council prior to the actual meeting date in order to speak.  When the vote came up, I thought it was a foregone conclusion that permission would be granted.  I can't think of a single reason why a concerned citizen should be deprived of his right to offer an opinion at a public meeting.  City council members have taken away this individual's freedom of speech.  Does anyone else find this upsetting?