News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Another Independent Mayoral Candidate

Started by jay, May 02, 2013, 08:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

Jimmy Hughes submitted his petitions today.  He is running for mayor as an independent.

Towntalk

Tough as nails ... and one of the most feared women in the valley because of the power she has at her disposal.

Teaching is not an easy job, and I respect educators because of the positive experienced ... three in particular ... who pointed me into the direction that I eventually went, and that is why I take the positions that I take today when it comes to politics.

I was also blessed to know on a personal basis a number of local politicians, one of whom was one of the most powerful in the United States during his time in office, which is why I set my standards very high when it comes to the people I vote for. I also am blessed to be friends with a former State Senator who rose to high leadership levels, who helped make YSU the great university it is today.

Add my long time friendship with Dan Ryan and you can see where I'm coming from.

iwasthere

good words to live by for the human-race. zingers and opinions are way with words with us bloggers. we all guilty by using flare with our words that makes mine and others bp go into stroke mode. i been at many political debates where people attack someone's person without having a conversation with these ind. as a teacher, i have to put out these types of fires in my rm 24/7 in which wears my patience down by the end of the day that reflects my threads on this blog from time to time. i quess i would had gone hungary at  your boss's hands due to my personality.

Towntalk

Three rules to live by:

If we were supposed to talk more than we listen, we would have two mouths and one ear.

A man of words, and not of deeds, is like a garden full of weeds. Thinking well is wise, planning well, wiser, doing well wisest and best of all.

He who eats my bread, does my will.

As to "throwing zingers at other bloggers" who are you referring to? I happen to respect just about everyone here, and while we're all entitled to our own opinions even if we're dead wrong that doesn't say that we're sacrosanct, not even me. As to folks running for public office, the gloves come off, and as my old boss was oft to say: "He who eats my bread, does my will.", and if he doesn't, then that's a problem.

iwasthere

it is alright for you to throw zingers at other bloggers when it comes to you, its hands off. i never would insult anyone who is running for office. many a grt leaders relied on experts for advice to move an organization forward. you have the "only child" trait of  that sometimes comes off snobbish with a high horse attitude. i do not take zingers from other bloggers, personally but constructive critism. would you  write off queen elizabeth's father off due to his strutter problem. i will be your squirer when you decide to get off you high or low horse.

Towntalk

Don't you dare for a single nanosecond sit there and tell me to "get off your high horse" about anything! I base my opinions on over 50 years as a registered voter in this city. I use the knowledge I gained at the feet of some of the best teachers that taught history and Civics this city's school system ever had, or for that matter ever will have, bar none. I worked with two of the best news media experts on local politics who made or broke the political careers of many an aspirant to politics. And I use the knowledge I gained when preparing to go to vote.

As for Mr. Sammorone, the only reason why he's our current Mayor is because Williams left in mid-term as you well know and obviously didn't actually want the job, or he would be running for his own full term.

Admittedly I'm no supporter for the Green Party, and never will be.

As to the City school system, that is a horse of a different color, and much of the blame rests with the folks that are elected to the Board of Education, and our municipal leaders have no control over that, and so long as we keep electing the sort of people who sit on that board, this system will be a loser.

If you want to see people in office that don't know the least bit about running a city that is your privelage even if that person can't put together a complete sentence, but as for me, I want to see this city to move forward just as it's beginning to do. And I don't want to see people elected who will stand in the way of progress.

iwasthere

tt if sammorone is the most qualified and experience why has he not moved the city in a better position for rebirth. he had the opportunity to move the city to a pt wh ere people would move in, not out. schools thriving where he collects one of his salary. tt i only vote for people that are involved in their com. if a person attends council and committee meetings and he or she is involved with the com 24/7. this person is well qualified to sit at the city hall table whether you like it or not. so get off your high horse and come down where the peasants live. you are not royalty from england.

Towntalk

Mahoning County voters

Towntalk

I said nothing about restrictings ... my only point was that not everyone seeking to run for office is qualified, and it is up to us to use our best judgement when we go to vote.

You obviously go to great lengths to educate yourself before you cast your vote and that is the sign of good citizenship, but unfortunately 90% of the voters don't follow your example as witnessed by the turnouts at the candidate forums.

Campaign literature is simply not enough ... TV interviews are helpful ... radio talk shows are better ... and newspaper articles are even better ... but most voters unfortunately are a lazy lot and vote based on name recognition and party affiliation and one other that I will not go into detail with.

I still say that the greatest care must be exercised when we vote, and not vote for someone just because he or she is a fresh face on the campaign trail. The way we vote will impact us for generations to come, and we are in no position to vote for someone who requires on the job training. 

jay

If you want to restrict who is able to run for council, mayor or president of council, then you have to change the city charter (good luck).  All of these candidates meet the existing qualifications or they would not have made it onto the ballot.

I attend several candidates' forums before each election and I feel I am able to determine the better candidates no matter how many candidates are running for a given office.

Towntalk

Even if the city elections were nonpartisan, you would have the same problems ... every Tom; Sam; Harry and Susie would be running for Mayor or Council regardless of their qualifications. Even now, we're seeing a lot of folks running who aren't qualified running for Mayor and Council President, and the end result, deluted votes. The next Mayor will have huge challanges to face ... challanges that will effect Youngstown for years to come, and only two of the candidates have the qualifications to meet those challanges.

As to the President of Council, we have one candidate that has absolutely no qualifications, and one who does, and I think you know who I mean.

Susie Q is not qualified to hold that office period, and all she has is a special interest agenda that does not bode well for the city.

If she wants into politics, then she should be starting out as a member of council, and not President of Council.

jay

This is one reason that I favor nonpartisan elections.  All candidates for an office are in the first election. The top two move on to the general election in November.

Towntalk

There are going to be so many candidates running for Mayor in the General Election that the eventual winner will have no clear mandate ... this is ridiculous, but then looking back to the 1924 Mayoral election we had as many running, and it was the single most controversial campaign in Youngstown's history, but in the end the winner became one of the best mayors we ever had.

Towntalk

jay

Another Independent Mayoral Candidate

Frank Bellamy