News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Councilman Hospitalized

Started by jay, April 19, 2013, 10:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

There is a time and a circumstance for everything. I certainly wouldn't misjudge a person who just got off work and was still in his workcloths, or someone who was working in his garden all day. I was born and raised in a little town where some of my neighbors were coal miners, or worked in the brickyard yet they were all very nice neighbors.

I do get judgemental though when there is a public meeting and some of the guests seeking our support look like they just crawled out of a dumpster.

If you're seeking my support you must not only do it in a positive fashion, but you must also look nice and speak well. If you don't care about your appearance then why should anyone respect you?

There is a time and a place for informality, and there is a time and a place for formality.

Why?Town

Unfortunately looks do play a huge roll in almost everything.

It's not always right though so I usually wait until I get close enough to smell someone before I dismiss them ;D

TT,

I think the appearance or "cover of the book" is only the physical outside of the person. What they say and what they do are inside that cover.

When I was a teenager I was selling parts to a car I had dismantled. A friend of a friend showed up to buy something. My mother saw him coming up the drive and was not impressed by his beat up homemade flatbed truck. She was even less impressed by his "Charles Manson impersonater"  appearance, and didn't even want me to answer the door. I don't remember exactly how my mother ended up even speaking to him at all but she ended up having him stay for lunch and commented later that she couldn't believe what a nice young man he was.

Towntalk

I'm glad I'm not the only one here that judges a person by their appearance. I was always taught ... you can know what you need to know about a person ... by what they say ... what they do ... and how they present themselves to you. The idea that "you can't judge a book by it's cover", is absolutely wrong in the case of a human being. A human is not a book ... they might look like something out of a comic book, but once they start to speak, you see the real deal. John has always earned my respect because of his previous vocation ... how he has always communicated with me when I asked him questions ... and how he presents himself (his appearance). I truely wish for him full recovery.

Rick Rowlands

Appearance is very important, and ultimately the success of a person in society will be determined by his or her appearance.  I may not remember what someone says to me, but if there is something about the person's appearance that catches my attention, it is that which I will remember.

Towntalk

You got that right. Family name and looks first, then party, then speaking ability.

jay

If appearance is everything, that is why unattractive people can not be elected to office.

Towntalk

Shrimp makes a valid point about some people's appearance ... long straggly hair, beards that are equally straggly, wearing clothing that looks for all the world like they were pulled out of the Goodwill dumpster ... flip flops on their sockless feet ... and oh yes ... and plenty of B. O. (and that's just the ladies.  :laugh:  )

iwasthere

ytownshrimp what do you mean some of the grn party members were unkept? you cannot judge a person by its clothing. jrs heart attack came on by family medical history not due to a heated exchange that i did not witness. did you or any other members that were there listened to this debate between jrs and a member of the audience? i did not notice but i do agree both sides bp rose that nite not to a pt of stroke or ha levels. this must had taken place after the civil debate in the parking lot.

Youngstownshrimp

My wife and I were at the debate with Sweirze and I too felt my blood rise from the obvious unproductive in that room.  I believe once this energy source is harnessed we need to disconnect all the Fractivist from the energy grid, they are only obstructing without offering an alternative in real time.
Andersen and some in the Green party were obviously inept and even physically appeared uncleaned.
John and I had our disagreements throughout the years, but he is right on in fighting these unproductive of society.

iwasthere

one cannot blame the heated exchange last thursday nite for the heartattack. one must account for age and physical condition of any individual(s) for health problems.

Towntalk

Our prayers go out for John to have a full recovery.

jay

It's been reported that the seventh ward councilman suffered a heart attack yesterday.  Also, some have said that he had an heated exchange with citizens at a ward coalition meeting on Thursday evening.