News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Ohio GOP Senator To Oppose Senate Bill 5 And Attacks On Collective Bargaining

Started by irishbobcat, February 12, 2011, 07:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why?Town

Whew!

You have me worried there for a minute. I guess I was so surprised by that response that I just reacted without really thinking it through.

I'm glad my reaction didn't cause me to just cut and past something that I thought would support my position then start calling names. ;D

Rick Rowlands

I'm not all of a sudden "for" unions, but I see the bigger picture here.  Doing this right off the bat will cause a groundswell of opposition to republicans in Ohio.  If this does pass the unions have enough support to get this as an initiative on the ballot in 2012, and the increased union voter turnout will vote this down, and while they are there they will vote Obama for a second term.  Since Ohio is an important state in presidential elections, this one issue may be whats needed for Obama to serve four more years.   You got to look at these things in the big picture to see how bad this is.

Also, I do not look forward to having an entire state's worth of disgruntled employees providing me services.  This will get ugly.  Blue flus, work slowdowns, etc. are on our horizon. Unions play dirty, and unions threatened with extinction are worse.

Why?Town

WOW!

Collective bargaining pretty much eliminates the idea of compensation, benefits and perks being passed out on the merits of individual accomplishment and instead uses the merits of who has been there the longest.

If we could say that the entire yearly compensation for a collective bagaining group is exatly what they are worth, then it stands to reason that the employee at the middle of the bell curve is gettting paid exactly what he is worth. Every worker bettter than him,  is subsidizing the paycheck of every worker not as good as him.

Not to mention that collective bargaining creates an entitlement mindset within some members of the working class.

How can it possibly be OK?

Another thing to think about is all the businesses that have folded due to unreasonable demands of the unions. Government isn't going to fold, they're going to reach in your pocket and meet those demands the only way they know how.

Unions had a place in America a long time ago. They did a lot of good things for a lot people but in today's world full of laws and regulations protecting workers they aren't so valuable to society.

And again I say that I really don't know how anyone that works with dangerous equipment like staplers, copy machines, and keyboards in an climate controlled office could ever possibly justify needing a union.

Rick Rowlands

irishbobcat

Maybe reasonable Ohioans will beat backthe latest push by Neo-Con King Kasich and his minnons of neo-con flunkies.....

The Massillon Independent is reporting that State Senator Scott Oeslanger (R-North Canton) has publicly announced that he will not support SB 5 to repeal collective bargaining for State employees.

"I will oppose the bill and will vote no if it does come to a vote," he said."I believe there has to be a balance between management and labor and the give and take of the collective bargaining process allows that balance to take place.

"Throughout my career I've been a strong supporter of collective bargaining for that reason," he added.

This is a significant development in that this is the first time any Republican has publicly announced their opposition to a major policy initiative of the Kasich Administration.