News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Suggestions For Downtown Events

Started by jay, January 08, 2008, 08:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

I agree. There should be a whole lot more publicity for this event, but more than that, there should be youth/family events the night before and after the event itself.

jay

The annual Youngstown Soap Box Derby needs to be promoted more.  The soap box derby is a fine family event.

Towntalk

While it could be, I see it being held on the 4th of July which is a long weekend this year. A seperate event could be held for YSU's Homecoming which would exclude a Grand Ball. Two major events in the same area would be a traffic mess.

Unlike the July 4th Old Home Week which would be centered around downtown Youngstown and focus on the whole family, the YSU Homecoming Celebration would focus on YSU with appropiate events both downtown and around the University.

Also, there could be a tie in with the City Schools with various contests such as essay contests, art contests etc., but as for "Old Home Weekend" the focus should be on the city as a whole.

Under no circumstance should the two be combined.

jay

Should this be held in conjunction with the YSU homecoming weekend?

Towntalk

Here are some more ideas for an Old Home Week celebration: (If it were this year.)

Day 1 - Friday July 4

Opening welcome (Mayor)
Parade
Bake Off Contest (Ladies from local churches)
Ice Cream and Cake Fest
Vintage movies at Powers
Booths featuring nationality foods
Local talent concert (Outdoors weather permitting)
Arts and Craft Show and Sale

Day 2 - Saturday July 5

Arts and Craft Show and Sale
Rib Burn-off contest (Morning)
Afternoon local band
Ice Cream Social (For children featuring Shrine Clowns)
Events at the Mahoning Valley Historical Society
Vintage Films (Powers)
Chili Cook Off Contest (Afternoon)
Evening local bands

Day 3 - Sunday July 6

Church services (Morning)

(Events as with Day 2)

Closing Grand Ball (Stambaugh Auditorium Ball Room) (Evening)
Fire Works (Stambaugh Statium)

northside lurker

If we get more than one developer creating downtown residences, we could have a "Downtown Living Tour," similar to Cincinnati:
http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=14121.0
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

This is what I suggested on January 10, 2008:

"Another idea would be to have an "Old Home Week" where folks would dress up in 19th Century costumes. There would be a parade down Federal Street, the Youngstown Playhouse would do a 19th Century play at Powers, and some of the restaurants would feature foods that were popular restaurant dining in the 19th Century, and on street corners news boys dressed as 19th century paperboys would hawk reproductions of local newspapers of the day (19th Century of course). The celebration would end in a Grand Ball at the Stambaugh Auditorium featuring music that was popular in the 19th Century.
This event could be tied in with a Fourth of July celebration with fireworks at Stambaugh Stadium after the ball.

During the afternoon there could also be a film festival of silent movies at Powers." 9:47:08 PM

An event such as this could be made into a really great event, that could involve the whole community.

I have a newspaper account of another "Old Home Week" that was held back in 1908 and it was really something. Too bad something like that couldn't be held this year on the 100th anniversary of the 1908 Old Home Week.

jay

We need to have a homecoming for the city of Youngstown.  On this day, all former residents would be invited to return to downtown Youngstown to see all the progress that has taken place.  Special programs and contests could be arranged for this special day.  A prize could be given to the person who traveled the greatest distance to return.  All downtown restaurants and bars could take part too.

jay

The city should allow people to rollerskate on some of the downtown parking lots during the day on the weekends.  Rollerskating is good exercise.  I'm sure that many people would come to downtown Youngstown to enjoy this outdoor activity.

Towntalk

Phil:

As far as I know, the only theater in downtown Youngstown that was equipped to show 70mm Todd-A-O was the State Theater. Before the State is torn down, it would be a good idea to see if the Todd-A-O equipment is still there. If so, and it can be put back in service, it might be a good idea to have it removed and donated to Powers. There are people who can restore this equipment if it would need work.

The one drawback would be the screen. A new screen would be needed.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, 70mm Todd-A-O is something like Cinerama showing pictures on a huge curved screen.

Some of the films using this process were:

2001 A Space Odyssey
A Chorus Line
Funny Girl
Oklahoma
My Fair Lady
Sound of Music
South Pacific
Around The World In 80 Days

jay

I just checked the program for the play, In the Moonlight Eddie, appearing at the Oakland Center for the Arts.  Not one program ad was purchased by a downtown restaurant or bar.   Performance venues are drawing people to downtown Youngstown.   Food and drink businesses are making a mistake by not trying to advertise to the theater patrons.

Defend Youngstown

Hello all:

(FYI: "Defend Ytown"  will = me - Phil Kidd)

First, I'd like to thank you for opening a thread regarding suggestions for downtown events (beat me to the punch). I do, in fact, read this site often. I think it's wonderful because the content is fresh and relevant and the contributors are informed and passionate. I will continue to make a good effort to read and contribute as much as I can as

So, let me start me saying that I "officially" begin the job this Tues. the 15th, however, have been hard at work getting the ball rolling on some important preliminary stuff that I'll/we'll need in order to be organized and effective at getting as many individual voices/ideas to the table as possible and to plan as many successful events as possible.

Initially, there are 3 important things we need to do:

1. Build a staff. To do this, I am calling upon the YSU School of Business (Marketing and Advertisiting/Public Relations). Interns from this department will be brought in to serve as professional assistants and will take ownership of the creative and powerful marketing strategies we want to employ. Incidentally, this will also provide YSU students a unique opportunity to become informed and involved in the downtown scene as well as  give them a sense of ownership, further helping to decrease the large disconnect between the 13,000+ only a few hundred yards away (and getting closer).

2. Create an interactive website, blog, event calendar, email/mailing list/suggestion box, MySpace/Facebook. These tools will serve as the core of our marketing strategy and will not only include a comprehensive list of events but will also discuss the events in detail (times, locations, things to check out, q&a, etc). All Youngstown related websites and blogs will be linked (including this site). Event calendars will be attached and message boards will be included. This will be an ever evolving process/tool. These sites will be operational from at least a

3. Establish/reestablish a business and entertainment monthly meeting/forum. This can/will include the reactivation/further development/consolidation of the Downtown Merchant's Assoc. and YAEDA and will, of course, also be open to the public for contribution. The point is to establish a legitimate monthly meeting where downtown stakeholders can and will begin to communicate and begin to assemble a strategic agenda for downtown. Before the end of the month, I will meet with each business owner downtown and notice will be sent regarding the first meeting. I'll also post the notice on this board and others.

So, in additional from having to learn all the "formal" aspects of my job (permits, security, contracting, etc.) that Claire will begin to assist me with starting Tues., I'll be working on the initiatives and hope to have most of the bulk completed by the end of this month.

I will attempt to stay in constant communication with this board (and all boards, to include the new ytown events website/blog) regarding all developments and progress on various events/marketing/economic development so that we have a true sense of transparency in this position (as it should be).

I thank you for your ideas and your support and I look forward to meeting each of you and discussing all things downtown in person at some point and in the near future. See you downtown!

Thanks again and Defend Youngstown!
Phil K.

jay

I would like to see the return of the Street Festival on N. Phelps between Federal and Commerce.

Towntalk

Another idea would be to have an "Old Home Week" where folks would dress up in 19th Century costumes. There would be a parade down Federal Street, the Youngstown Playhouse would do a 19th Century play at Powers, and some of the restaurants would feature foods that were popular restaurant dining in the 19th Century, and on street corners news boys dressed as 19th century paperboys would hawk reproductions of local newspapers of the day (19th Century of course). The celebration would end in a Grand Ball at the Stambaugh Auditorium featuring music that was popular in the 19th Century.

This event could be tied in with a Fourth of July celebration with fireworks at Stambaugh Stadium after the ball.

During the afternoon there could also be a film festival of silent movies at Powers.

jay

Downtown businesses must be part of the event planning process. 

Every attempt must be made for the events to benefit as many businesses as possible.

Events must not interfer with the normal operation of any downtown business.