News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Building Questions

Started by jay, October 04, 2011, 08:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Is that a bottle of chocolate syrup on the counter?!? :o  I never noticed that before!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

The Hub

As it was the day it closed.  As it is today.

Towntalk

Personally, when it comes to steak I like mine rare to very rare with just salt and pepper. When it comes to mashed potatoes ... just a dash of salt a little milk in the mashing process and clarafied butter. When it comes to french fries I want mine with a nice crust outside, not the kind that the burger joints call french fries. When I'm ready to sit down to a steak dinner, all I want with it is a bottle of A1 Sauce.

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on October 12, 2011, 09:09:08 PM
My Mother was a great cook that turned out meals worthy of the Food Channel, and taught me how to turn out great meals on a budget.

When you dine in a restaurant that is high end the only difference between the meals that they turn out and what the Mom and Pop diner serve is the presentation.

Again, you could duplicate a meal served on the Iron Chef using ingredients from Giant Eagle or even Save-A-Lot or Sparkle Market.

What kinds of dishes do you particularly like?

I like home-style foods.

I do understand what you mean about presentation.  But it's what they do to the food that I often don't care for.  For example, many years ago, I ate at Outback Steakhouse.  I got a steak, with a side of mashed potatoes.  I've never eaten there again, partly, because I didn't like that they put so much other "stuff" (seasonings, etc.) in the potatoes.  I also didn't care for how the steak was seasoned.  When I grill my own steaks, I only use garlic salt; if I'm feeling "exotic" I'll throw some mesquite chips on the hot coals first.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

My Mother was a great cook that turned out meals worthy of the Food Channel, and taught me how to turn out great meals on a budget.

When you dine in a restaurant that is high end the only difference between the meals that they turn out and what the Mom and Pop diner serve is the presentation.

Again, you could duplicate a meal served on the Iron Chef using ingredients from Giant Eagle or even Save-A-Lot or Sparkle Market.

What kinds of dishes do you particularly like?

northside lurker

IMO, a Steak n Shake, or something similar/non chain, would do best at the former Hub location.  A diner atmosphere would best embrace the styling of the building. (I think the first floor is too small for a high-end restaurant, anyway)  Maybe Chef Michael Symon's new restaurant could go in the rooftop penthouse?
--Thomas Edison

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on October 12, 2011, 08:29:21 PM
Then I guess you wouldn't dine at the Youngstown Club?

Not unless I was invited to an event there.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Then I guess you wouldn't dine at the Youngstown Club?

northside lurker

^Rosetta Stone tried this type of menu.  I'm not saying that's why they closed, because they adapted their menu quite a bit to better suit the tastes of potential customers.

Frankly, I would VERY RARELY patronize a restaurant like this.  My tastes in food are much simpler. (but I'm not a foody, either.)
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Another idea for The Hub

Iron Chef Michael Symon is a restraunt owner in Cleveland who owns several trendy restraunts in Cleveland. He is expanding his operation and would be a great addition to the downtown restraunt scene.

Here's links to two of his Cleveland restraunts where you can get an idea of the menues.

As you will see, the foods they serve is superior to any of the restraunts now in downtown Youngstown save The Youngstown Club.

http://lolitarestaurant.com/

http://lolabistro.com/dinner-appetizers.shtml

jay

There is a local guy who helps secure locations to be used in movies.  Maybe we could get him to help. ;D

Rushblvd

The throw down to Bobby Flay will be the "Cookie Table"

Towntalk

Just came up with another great idea ... after The Hub is rehabed by Robert Irvine, we could convince Iron Chef Bobby Flay to take charge of it. Just think of the great national publicity it would get.

Towntalk

Or at least a TV series starring our own Ed O'Neil and Maureen McGovern in the title roles.

Jay really gave us some great food to chew over. Maby we could even use the Symphony Orchestra to provide the background music that could be written by John Williams of Star Wars fame.

Rushblvd

I  am thinking we have a great movie idea going.....