News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Main Post Office

Started by Towntalk, July 15, 2011, 06:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenneyjoe330

I have been retired from the U. S. Postal Service for over eleven years as a Letter Carrier ! ! !  :o I was involved in many Postal "Projects" (for lack of a better word) my entire Postal Career.  I got OUT of the Post Office because of MANAGEMENTS Ignorance and Lies.  Your example is just ONE of a GREAT MANY REASONS I could NEVER work for THOSE PEOPLE - may God forgive them- there are far too many people behind desks manking decisions based on ill based program data and their own desire to 'get a head' !  I would say TWENTY Years ago I saw this happening and went to my Councelman and to the then Mayor to let them know that we would loose a lot of revinue from the monies of worker within the Post Office - this news is OLD and now it is going to happen and there is nothing we can do now and there was not much we could do then either.  The costly technological equipent must be FEED so that it can PAY for itself and Youngstown can not get the volumne it needs to feed it's equipment.

Why?Town

So, the Postal Service is looking at ways to increase efficiency and productivity.

They should study how they plan their routes.

I live in a subdivision where the two houses on the corner are addressed on a main road but their mailboxes are on our road. Their mail is delivered with the rest of the houses on the main road so every day the mail truck makes a right turn onto our road, delivers to the first house in our development, turns around in someones driveway (usually mine) then delivers to the house across the street from the first house, makes another right back onto the main road and continues on it's merry way. An hour or so later another mail truck pulls in, delivers to the rest of our street skipping the previously delivered houses. I'm sure this happens thousands, or maybe even hundreds of thousands times a day all over the country. I realize that both trucks are probably needed due to volume but there's no reason for the first truck to be on my street (or driveway).

I don't know how much $$ in time, brakes, transmissions, and  general wear and tear could be saved by avoiding the backing up and turning around (not to mention the greater risk of accidents) but I'm sure it's substanial. Heck, the UPS company, whose routes change daily,  has been doing it's best to just avoid left turns (and saving millions in the process) for several years now. Wouldn't backing up and turning around be worse that a left turn?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/magazine/09left-handturn.html

http://www.e-myth.com/cs/user/print/post/ups-makes-the-right-turn

Towntalk

Word is out that the Main Post Office might be closed.

The U.S. Postal Service has announced it's conducting a study of the Youngstown processing facility.

Their aim is to see if any work can be consolidated into the Akron or Cleveland processing centers. They're looking at ways to increase efficiency and productivity.

Officials said the need for the study comes as the Postal Service faces one of the most difficult challenges in its history. The current economic downturn and continued internet diversion has led to a drastic 20 percent decline in mail volume since 2007, resulting in historically large deficits.

Even when the economy fully recovers, the Postal Service does not expect mail volume to return to previous peak levels, and is projecting annual deficits for the foreseeable future.

"As a result of the volume loss, we have more facilities, equipment and people than we need to process a declining volume of mail," said Todd Hawkins, the Postal Service's District Manager for Northern Ohio. "We have to reduce the size of our network because we are no longer receiving enough revenue to sustain its cost."

If the feasibility study supports the business case for changing mail processing operations, the Postal Service will hold a public meeting to allow members of the community to ask questions and provide feedback. This input will be considered in the final proposal, officials said.