News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Attempt to break a world's record and help Second Harvest!

Started by ForumManager, December 02, 2005, 10:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

ForumManager

UPDATE on the event

We still need more volunteers to help distribute registration forms, to make sure folks are singing, and other miscellaneous tasks (marshals)

If you are able to do so, please call 330 881 9517
or email me
mg@ytownpc.com

Please let me know what kind of job you would prefer and your age.
We'd prefer mature high school or older to be marshals.

We can do this!
Let's break a world's record!

Maxina Gohlke

Shar

I have made donations of food and money to the Rescue Mission as will as the Salvation Army.  I am not trying to attack your announcement and I understand that your group has heard of the need of the Second Harvest Food Bank.  I personally have concerns about Second Harvest and would be happy to talk to you about them but this forum is not the place.

ForumManager

I posted the original  message because I am the president of the chorus.
We heard that the food bank was in need.
We are hoping that this project will beneift many families.
The holidays, which should be a time of joy, are particularly hard on families in need.

I feel that this attack on my public service announcement about a worthwhile project is counterproductive.  

Places that store and distribute  food have overhead and the end agencies you are speaking of most certainly have overhead as well and the money comes from other sources.

Shar, what you are doing to help the community this Holiday Season?

Shar

In response to Second Harvest Foodbank, my statement was accurate.  I said that food that is donated to the foodbank has to be paid for by the agencies that recieve it.  That is true.  You say in your own statement that you charge $.10 per pound for that food.  If I take my donations directly to the agencies that distribute the food then they do not have to pay the $.10 per pound for you to handle it.

I have also seen some of that produce that you say was distributed to agencies at no cost and it was not fit for human consumption.  Rotting produce is no help to the needy.

Second Harvest Food Bank

In response to the posting by Shar which we feel is not accurate, we are offering the following information and invite Shar to visit the Food Bank or give us a call to clear up any misconceptions.

Second Harvest Food Bank will distribute over 4.5 million pounds of food to 212 hunger relief organizations in Columbiana, Mahoning and Trumbull counties this year. We are the local certified affilate of America's Second Harvest, the nation's food bank network, and operate according to their guidelines.

Our member agencies (all 501(c)3 charities) are asked to pay $.10 per pound for the food they receive to help offset transportation, sorting and re-boxing, inventory and tracking costs. In 2004, we distributed 700,000 pounds of produce at no cost to agencies in addition to beverages and other items distributed at no cost daily.

We encourage anyone wanting to know more about the operation of the Food Bank to stop by or give us a call. We welcome the opportunity to answer any questions. We are located at 2805 Salt Springs Road in Youngstown or you can call us at 330-792-5522 Ext. 15. You may also address any questions, comments, suggestions to the above email address.

Rita

Can you post the names of all of the organizations in need so people will know who else to help in the future?   R

Shar

I would much rather see food donations given directly to the local food pantrys than to Second Harvest Food Bank.  The food bank makes the pantrys that actually distribute the food to the needy pay for it.

jay

This sounds like fun and will be a great community participation event.  I will be there.

jay

ForumManager

Please pass this on to ANY ONE  who may be interested!

The Youngstown Symphony Chorus challenges area residents to help us
attempt to  break the World's Record for the largest caroling service.
The event will be held on December 17th at 10 AM at the Chevrolet Centre
on Front Street in Downtown Youngstown.

Please bring at least one non-perishable food item per person for the
Second Harvest Food Bank.  Bags of groceries are welcome as well. The food bank needs our help.

Start your day with us and then move on  to your Christmas shopping.

The current record: December 20, 2003 in the Civic Square in Cambridge,
Ontario, Canada, when 1,175 carolers sang Christmas carols for 28 minutes.
Participants must sing the entire time.  We will provide background
music and the lyrics.
Validation  forms  are online at our web site
Please print and bring one form for each person participating.
There are 3 forms on each page.
http://ysc-online.org

Children are very welcome join in the fun.If they are unable to sing the carols continuously they will not be
counted toward the record attempt.

The Lady Steelhounds and mascot Crusher will be there to cheer us on!

The Steelhounds plan to offer selected discount Hockey Tickets to those
that attend.

The chorus will be most appreciative  for small monetary donations to
help defray costs of this event  and to help support the art of choral
music. There will be donation stations available  upon exit.

We hope that you will join us.

Maxina Gohlke, president
Youngstown Symphony Chorus